Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working on the TB in the garage an now the battery it so dead I cant even shift to Neutral so I can roll it out of the garage for a jump.

The wife is out of town and have no wheels to get either a new battery or a charger. I could get a jump but I cant get it out of the garage!

How do tow truck drvers get it to neutral?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
62 Posts
i know it a pain but pull the battery out of the jump vehicle but as long as its big enough you should be able to get yours started and get it out of the garage and put it back in the vehicle you have borrowed it from.

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
5,307 Posts
The sucky part about these trucks having dead batteries is that as soon as you realize it, its too late to get your ignition key back. I've always had a jump pack available, so I never realized that it got stuck in park too :no:

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
You say you can get a jump. If you have two sets of cables connect the two sets of jumper cables together. Or all you need is 12 volts to get out of neutral. Use an extension cord and clamps from battery to battery. Don't start the truck, just get it out of neutral. :m2:

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
357 Posts
You can go under the right side of the console down by the floorboard. Wedge something under the edge of the console (it's plastic and flexible) to prop it out. E.g., a rolled up towel. Be careful not to cut the back of your hand on the sharp plastic as you put your hand up under the plastic. You will be able to feel/see a solenoid about the size of a quarter near the rear of the console that you can press with a finger. Press the metal button on the solenoid while shifting into neutral. Be sure and set the parking brake if vehicle is on an incline! Also, easiest to do if passenger seat is all the way back.

If at first you cuss me and say no way can that be done, try, try again. It will work.:yes:

C.B.

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_ls
7,988 Posts
The ground could be attached anywhere on the vehicle. Then, if you can get the postive wire to the fusebox under the back seat, that might be enough to get it out of park...:undecided

More detail...open the rear hatch and attach the negative to a tie-down point. Then run a wire from the positive clamp to the main positive wire in the fusebox.

·
Registered
804 Posts
You just need to get enough juice to the battery to turn the key to the acc position then quick get it into neutral. I ended up using my Motorcycle to do that then coasted down the driveway and use my wifes car to jump my tb

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
look in the manual. theres a procedure in there on how to shift the vehicle out of park when the battery goes dead and or towing is needed...
its in the manual...

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
357 Posts
rbarrios--I have a 2003 Envoy and have been unable to find anything in the owners manual. Could you please give a page reference which will be close since the cars are so similar?

C.B.

·
Banned
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You say you can get a jump. If you have two sets of cables connect the two sets of jumper cables together. Or all you need is 12 volts to get out of neutral. Use an extension cord and clamps from battery to battery. Don't start the truck, just get it out of neutral. :m2:

It worked with 3 sets of cables ( to get it out of park) the we were able to roll it back and use one set of cables to jump.

Man that dead batt is a bit*h.:mad: I have run down a batt befor, but never to the point that it didnt have enough juice to work the ignition or gear shifter!

After this wonderful experiance I went directly to sears for a jumper pack.:thumbsup:

Thank you all very much for the help.:thx

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
331 Posts
emergency neutral lever

doesn't every car have an emergency neutral lever that you can pull its usually near the shifter or under the hood i am not sure if the location would be in the manual. A mechanic friend told me this but he could be wrong he is kind of an idiot lol.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
357 Posts
rbarrios--Sure would appreciate your posting the page reference in the owners manual where getting out of park in an emergency is discussed. I just went through my book again and didn't find it but I've had that happen to me before where I just overlooked something.:confused:

I also searched the factory service manual but couldn't find any reference there either but that book is the most difficult to use factory manual I've ever owned. It's very hard to find anything in the three big volumes.

C.B.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
doesn't every car have an emergency neutral lever that you can pull its usually near the shifter or under the hood i am not sure if the location would be in the manual. A mechanic friend told me this but he could be wrong he is kind of an idiot lol.
Our vehicles used to have a small lever under the shifter boot, however the NTHSA made them recall the vehicles and remove the lever. Seem the lever is ONLY allowed on vehicles which incorporate a steering wheel lock, to prevent steering the vehicle when the key is removed. (Our trucks do not have that locking mechanism and therefore may NOT have the bypass lever on the shifter).

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
...open the rear hatch...
Note - the rear hatch and glass releases are both solenoid driven, so a dead battery also traps the rear closed up. I used to carry my battery jumper pack in my rear drawer unit. Until the first time I needed it and it was trapped! :hissy: Now it's under the driver's seat or mounted under the hood.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
for 2003 Trailblazers. look on page 2-23 in the manual.
for 2003 envoys its page 2-25

I think the title is shift lock interface... it says if youre battery dies or you need to be towed and need to shift......

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
Yeah I see it is where you said from the 2003 owners manual. My 2005 does not have this in the owners manual, which goes along with what Ylab said.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
357 Posts
Well, rbarrios, puzzle finally solved. My 2003 manual does NOT have the reference you gave and does not have the paragraph in question. So I looked at the 2003 Envoy manual under Resources above and, lo and behold, there it was as you said!

The manual under Resources is Part # X2338A First Edition and mine is Part #2338B First Edition. As someone explained on this thread earlier, the lever in question used to be on Trailvoys but the Government required removal sometime late in the 2002 or early in the 2003 model year. I haven't looked but I assume I don't have the lever since my book does not say so.

In any event, the solenoid that the lever activated is still there and can be accessed as I described in my earlier post.

Whew!!!:suicide:

C.B.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
357 Posts
P.S. My Envoy 2003 was manufactured in January, 2003. I just checked by using the method described for earlier models and it does NOT have the lever although I can see where the lever would have been and how it would activate the solenoid.

I can see part of the solenoid base through a crack but was not able to get to it to activate the button from the top. Tried to rig up something but no luck. Fortunately, it is fairly easy to activate using the method I described earlier.

C.B.:tiphat

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
interesting... wasnt aware they made that change.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts