Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2005 TB ext 4x4. The key is stuck in the ingnition. I have search the sight and found lots of leads but with no final solutions. I can start the truck but can't put in drive, the dash lights are off the fan does not work, the 12v recepricols do not work. I have replaced the shifte lock solinoid, ingnition switch and have a new battery. I have looked at the fuses under the hood and under the back seat. None of the clear fuses are bad. I swapped the solid colored fuses with identical fuses in the block. The lock solenoid wire looks in good shape and has lots of slack. I don't expect a short. I have been dealing with this problem for 6 months. prefiously I have wiggle the key lots and pow the thing turns back far enough and it comes out. I put the key in, start the car, dash lights are good, fan is good, drive off and run your errands. That doesn't seem to be the case now. Nothing i have tried works. I about to take it to a dealer. Any one have Ideas! What about the neutral safety switch on the side of the transmission?

Norm

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,292 Posts
Welcome ; Key Stuck; little Brass detent rod in the shifter gets bent when you put it in park to soon, hard, fast. I yank the shifter back while shifting it when it acts up, it's been behaving lately, If that doesn't work you may have to remove & straighten it. Can you hear the Solenoid clicking when you put your foot on the brake to get it out of park? lack of dash lights sure sounds like ignition switch:confused:.. thats as much as I can offer you on THIS site. G.L.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was actually on a trip 3 hours from home when this problem arrised. I manually ovrided the shift lock solenoid and drove home. No AC, dash lights, 12V recepticals. THe battery should be good. I messed with it alot the drive way last night. I've disconnected it while working/trouble shooting to save the battery from draining.

Thanks for the input. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
fixing grounds

so I tried a new steering column lock cylinder. It was easy to remove thanks to pounters from this sight. It did not solve my problem.

A member Bigapple provided the solution to my problem.
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=74110

He assembled a tutorial on accessing a grounded harness on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel just forward of the center console. You really only need to remove a the phillips screw anchoring the carpeted covering under the dash. My actually problem was not corrosion. The bolt used to ground the harness tab/eylet had been overtorqued at the assembly plant. I tried to tighten the screw and it wouldn't. Removing it was very difficult. After removing the screw I looked at the threads. The last three threads under the head the head were stripped out. The screw did not provide enough clamp to create a proper ground. Why it went this long is a puzzle to me. A new screw and all things were working properly. I took the time to clean off the paint on the grounding surface on the tunnel, the harness tab, and screw flange. This is apparently a master ground for many items, fan speed control, 12v sockets, dash lights, and shift lockout solenoid.

Thanks goes to Bigapple in my opinion!
:thx:thx:thx:thx:thx:thx:thx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts