Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Enthusiasts,

I was wondering if anyone else has had their key stuck in the ignition? The truck shuts off but it gets one click away from being able to be pulled out and will not turn any further. So here I am at work sitting here with my truck parked ...key stuck, wondering if my battery is gonna die, burn something out? Other than that ...looking forward to a great day.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I had that happen to me once, it was right after I got it out the shop. The auto bady shop forgot to tighten the bolts to the battery when re-installing. So, check your battery connection, and then your fuses. It could be the ignition has gone bad. Hope this helps :cool:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,235 Posts
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=8300

Check out the picture in this thread I posted a while back. Pop out the plastic plug in the steering column, push the button recessed inside, and you can complete turning the lock and remove the key.

Intent of this is to keep you from removing the key unless shifter is in park.

Causes can be battery dead (which yours isn't) trans shift switch in the console not sensing Park position, solenoid in the column or electrical connector are possible causes.

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
5,307 Posts
This happened to me a while back and it turned out it was a fuse. Check your IGN fuses. I hope it is that simple and not something more complicated. I had mine towed to the dealer because along with the key being stuck in the ignition, the transmission electronics were shot (because of the fuse) and the truck wouldn't shift. It turns out that even thought the dealer charged me $60 to change a fuse, the ignition was really bad and they replaced that the following week (after I diagnosed the problem) with a refund for the fuse :m2:

Oh, and if you don't see that button that everyone is talking about, don't feel bad, my truck doesn't have it :no:

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
They had to replace the trans shift lever in my first Denali to fix my problem. The darn part went on national backorder so I had to click the button a few times to get the key out.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,235 Posts
Jman423 said:
Oh, and if you don't see that button that everyone is talking about, don't feel bad, my truck doesn't have it :no:
Does yours not have the little plugged hole in the lower right side of the steering column beneath the igniton switch? Might be hard to see. GM redesigned the plug to make it less visible and harder to remove. It was the subject of a safety recall, along with removing the red shift lock release lever under the shifter boot. Maybe in later years they eliminated it altogether.

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for the help guys. Up and running (shut down) in 20 minutes. The plug was well blended and very hard to see on the black plastic.

If you didn't tell me it was there I would not have believed there would be an opening.:eek:

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
5,307 Posts
tblazed said:
Does yours not have the little plugged hole in the lower right side of the steering column beneath the igniton switch? Might be hard to see. GM redesigned the plug to make it less visible and harder to remove. It was the subject of a safety recall, along with removing the red shift lock release lever under the shifter boot. Maybe in later years they eliminated it altogether.
When I had the problem, I broke out the laptop, hooked it up to my cell phone, and came straight here to see if anyone had this problem. The first thread I found said to look for the release under the column. The hole is there, but there is no release. I asked the techs when I picked up the truck from the dealer and they said that mine did not have it. He also told me that one of the first times I brought my truck to them for warranty work, they removed the shift release, so maybe they did remove it, or maybe it just wasn't there in my truck :confused:

I know it's there on some of your trucks, I just know it isn't on mine, I spent all night looking so I wouldn't have to leave my truck 'on' with the key in the ignition in the driveway of a friends beach house :mad:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
2 Posts
Key stuck in ignition

My Envoy has been doing the same thing. Had the ignition cylinder replaced. Worked great for 1 day. Key got stuck again. Read the posts here, did what every body said to do but it is still sticking. Only seems to do it after it has been driven for 5 miles or more. Does anybody have the real answer here and a permanent solution to this problem?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.