Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kudos to the member that posted the step by step pics to replace the ignition switch! However, it did not fix the problem. The key is stuck in my 2003 Trailblazer in the ACC position. The Trailblazer starts and runs just fine, shifts fine, but I cannot take the key out and have to disconnect the battery to keep it from running down. Now that the steering assembly covers are off, there is a cylinder that can be pressed which releases the key. I replaced the ignition switch and also the key and cylinder assembly. Neither fixed the problem. What else could be the problem? :bonk:

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
The ignition switch may be off by a tooth or two. :undecided

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting...so, the teeth could have become misaligned in the chamber? What powers the button in the cylinder that you can press to release the key?

The ignition switch may be off by a tooth or two. :undecided

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
My ignition switch was changed under warranty.

As I understand it, the switch can be installed with the teeth mis-aligned. You need to remove it and reinstall it after turning either left or right by one tooth. Write down which way you turn it so you remember if it still doesn't work and you have to change it back.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
57 Posts
Not the teeth inside the tumbler, but the "gear" that meshes the tumbler with the ignition switch module. If they weren't in the correct relative position when the new ignition module was installed, with the key in you will always have the key partially "turned". You need to remove the switch module and turn the white gear at least one tooth in one direction or another. Then with the key at the normal position the switch module is fully at the limit. They both have to be in the correct relative position with the key in the "removal" position.

Re-install the switch module and see if you can get the key out. If not, take it out and move the gear in the other direction, then try again. See the gear in the picture below.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts