Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was reading an old thread that has some info ( http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=79973 ) however that thread raises some new questions for me.

Here is where I am at...

2003 Envoy SLT
Key will not turn past ACC when in park with foot on brake.
Checked Fuse 47; it is good.
I am powering down the truck by disconnecting negative battery lead.

In the old thread Snuffy mentions a manual release...

"I have the removed the stearing colum covers and have pushed the manual release on the locking cylinder which allowed me to remove the key."

I looked, but could not figure out how to remove the column covers. There are three holes underneath. Two seem to be fasteners but I cat get a good look to see what they are. I thought they might be hex head screws, but none of my nut drivers will grab them. The third hole seems to go into some kind of mechanical device, but it is not the lock release that I can tell.

My first task is to get the covers off so I can troubleshoot further. Can anyone help with that?

My second task is to deal with my screw up of fuse 47. Trying to test to see if there was power to the fuse I must have pushed the pins in because the fuse will no longer grab and seat. I took the fuse panel apart to see if there was any way to push them back in, but I can't get any deeper in then removing the harness connector. After a couple of hours of messing with that I committed to moving the wires for Fuse 47 to a spare location. I clipped a white and a pink to remove them from the connector for relocation. For now they are just capped off so until that is resolved the lock will never activate with the transmission interlock.

I want to get to the manual release first so I can keep the battery connected and lock the truck. I'll deal with the fuse issue second. Worse case I can tie in an external fuse holder.

Also - Roadie details the operation in the old thread as...

"Rear fuse #47, "IGN 0", turned on by the ignition switch in modes ACCY/RUN/START, feeds the transmission mode switch down on the driver's side of the tranny, pink wire on pin F. In the PARK position only, that switch closes, and then pin C puts 12 V on a yellow wire that travels back to the lock cylinder solenoid, whose other side goes to ground G201 by way of a black wire.

Very simple circuit - sorry nobody that I can find ever posted the schematic."

A question for Roadie - Are the pin call-outs tall for he connector on the rear fuse panel? In other words is the yellow wire traveling through the rear fuse/relay panel, or is it direct from the tranny interlock switch to the steering column?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update

Went and bought a set of metric nut drivers. The 5mm and 6mm are too small and the 7mm won't clear the opening. While I was trying to push it in (it almost fits) one of the shroud tabs popped loose. I pulled the tilt knob and with a little wiggling I was able to get the shroud open enough to reach the release button. Truck is full off and key is out :)

I also got an external fuse holder soldered in for Fuse 47. I didn't get the lock function back but my transmission will once again auto shift. With 47 out of the circuit you can only get 2, 3 and R and a very hard manual shift from 2 to 3.

So my current status is...

No Steering wheel lock with key out.
No Transmission lock with key out.
No gear lock-outs for 1,2, 3,R or P when running (no need to push button).

My best guess is a connector on the tranny has failed. That is where I will look next.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts