Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok weird problem here. The other day my key fob started acting like the battery needed changing. So i changed the battery. Yet it still acts the same way. It only works within a few feet of my TBSS and at a distance of 5 feet or more i literally have to use my body as an antenna. Meaning i have to jam the damn thing in my neck (LOL) or behind my ear just for it to work. Took it back to the dealership last week they said as long as it works at all they wont tiuch it....Now the reason I even tried it ear my neck was because i wear a bluetooth headset and i thought maybe it was innerfering with it. heeeeeeeeeeelppppppppp :bonk:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,289 Posts
Do you have the second key fob to test to whether or not its the fob or the reciever.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
17 Posts
Having the same problem. Key Fob 1 only works within a few feet of the vehicle even after a battery change. Key Fob 2 works fine. Haven't tried to reprogram it but does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
691 Posts
Having the same problem. Key Fob 1 only works within a few feet of the vehicle even after a battery change. Key Fob 2 works fine. Haven't tried to reprogram it but does anyone have any ideas?
I've seen Fobs that the battery contacts come loose from the board and need to be re-soldered. (not all fobs have this type of contact).

You can use a pencil eraser to clean the battery contacts if needed. And the carbon contacts on the back of the rubber buttons, the contacts on the board for the buttons should be cleaned too.

You can try reprogramming as you mentioned after inspection if it still acts up.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
230 Posts
In addition to bromans response what I did was dab a q tip in alcohol and wipe down the circuit board of the key fob. Make sure you dont get any cotton stuck on the board as well. Wait for it to dry then replace the battery and close it up. It worked for me.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
33 Posts
Same Problem here...

What I have learned is it works great if the Truck is warm (air temp over say 50F. When its colds thge keyless is inoperative. I took apart and cleaned both key fobs. Any help?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
176 Posts
I had the same problem. My FOB barely worked within 10 feet. I took the FOB apart and cleaned the contacts on the board where the buttons (lock, unlock, panic) hit and it now works perfectly. I've never changed the battery. My lock and unlock contacts were black with dirt.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
46 Posts
With me, one fob started to have the distance problem. Used to be able to lock the car from inside the house. Now I have to be within a few feet. New battery, no difference. Other fob that had been unused for years, same problem. Cleaned contacts (they were already pretty), no difference.
Leads me to think the problem is on the car side. :(

Hmmm. Where's the antenna/receiver in an LS with no DIC (and what did I do to interfere with it)??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts