Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 TB LS EXT....

2 key fobs - one is busted (really) and the other WAS intermittent.

I was in Missoula eating pizza and since the fobs weren't working -- I have been using the driver's door key --- UNTIL....

The cylinder actually wobbled so badly that it tossed the linkage and I was LOCKED OUT OF MY OWN CAR....IN MISSOULA - IN THE SNOW.

I didn't want to bust a window - so I got a great idea and took the fob apart and took a penny and put it on the printed grid wires and IT UNLOCKED THE DOORS!

In my opinion ---> I think it's easy to find fault with a FOB - or the battery - or bad tailgate wiring (that may still be a problem) or too close to a cell tower --- I don't know .......

BUT IF I got mine to work by using a penny to bridge the connex's - then this needs a little more insight and looking in to....

Just for kicks 'n giggles --- I took an old TV remote control apart and I'm cutting the button pad into individual sections and will try to activate the FOB by putting a new push button contact from the TV remote, into the FOB......

...............just sayin'...........

'n Yeah - I know two new ones on Amazon Smile are $9.95 and free shipping - but I wanna know!

BTW: There are 4 button/contacts in these fobs - I wonder what the extra button does? Maybe it can be programmed to whatever I can find it to do....

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
177 Posts
I found that cleaning the 'button' contact surface brings the unit back to life .
And , I wonder if just a spritz of copper gasket spray would 'rejuvinate' the OEM buttons .

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... Copper Coat, huh?

What I see is the carbon surface on the pushbutton side is worn out and even if the circuit board matrix is still good, the carbon face won't make a decent enough circuit completion to work.

The copper penny trick, to me... proved the circuit board matrix is still good.

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
177 Posts
Or maybe a little piece of that chrome repair tape ?
That has decent adhesive .
Or there's always copper foil tape . Hobby Lobby has some or there's a bunch on Amazon for not a lot of cash .
Or maybe plain old aluminum foil and a half drop of super glue . ;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey... I'm in Montana and there isn't a Hobby Lobby in this state I think. But I get the idea.

I'm gonna gather up all the remote controls I have that don't work for anything I currently have..... I'll find something to work I betchum!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dood it!!!!

I cut the old contact buttons out and replaced them with some from an old TV remote control.

It works!

Maybe - after I get it uploaded, I'll post the YouTube URL so you can see it here......

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
36 Posts
I just got a new case, which had new buttons, for like $12 at Advance and put the guts of my old fob into it. Kudos to you OP for your creativity but there's an easier option. They also sell complete fobs for $50-$60 and will program them for you.

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
177 Posts
I just got a new case, which had new buttons, for like $12 at Advance and put the guts of my old fob into it. Kudos to you OP for your creativity but there's an easier option. They also sell complete fobs for $50-$60 and will program them for you.
12 bucks is far from easier , if you don't have it . ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts