Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i was going down the street and i floored it about 30mph to 35mph then let off about 45mph to 50mph and let off the accelorater and it kept going i have no clue why any help.

btw i had to turn off the car to make it stop.

Thanks

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
856 Posts
Dunno why, but this is why I HATE drive-by-wire. Nothing wrong with cables in the past, why add an extra link that can go bad. Cables don't automatically open the throttle, your foot does..imagine being in a parking lot with kids and something freak happens. How many reported cases.....prolly few at most but who wants to be the one?

We have the technology to make accel cables smoth as butter with little resistance. IAC motors and stepper solenoids are much safer.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,369 Posts
Check my sig for how to clean your throttle body. At any rate, even if it isn't dirty, you can check for full range of motion on the butterfly valve AS LONG AS IT IS UNPLUGGED and out of the vehicle as a general rule too. The drive by wire is a pain in the ass if anything goes wrong because it is near impossible to nail the problem without checking things manually.

Let us know if you find anything!

Good Luck,
Keith

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I'd guess stickiness in the accelerator pedal as a secondary possibility. There are redundant potentiometers on the pedal plus redundancy on the butterfly valve. Eliminating the cable means the PCM can run the cruise control with software only, plus emissions are easier to control under what used to be a difficult condition of when you let up off the pedal while cruising. The PCM can keep the RPMs up so the intake vacuum doesn't plummet.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
I'd guess stickiness in the accelerator pedal as a secondary possibility. There are redundant potentiometers on the pedal plus redundancy on the butterfly valve. Eliminating the cable means the PCM can run the cruise control with software only, plus emissions are easier to control under what used to be a difficult condition of when you let up off the pedal while cruising. The PCM can keep the RPMs up so the intake vacuum doesn't plummet.
:iagree: i'm also thinking badd APP sensor?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
:iagree: i'm also thinking badd APP sensor?
That's why there's two APP sensors - to prevent a single failure from causing full throttle runaway. And if the two sensors fail to agree, it doesn't average them together or choose one over the other, it goes into REP (reduced engine power) mode and all you get to do is limp to the side of the road.

·
Registered
2004 chevy
587 Posts
This might be too stupid or simple but have you verified that your cruise control is off? When I first encountered the cruise controls on the turn-signal lever back in my '91 chevy pickup I used to accidentally turn it on once in a while, and the truck would race to get up to speed seemingly out of my control.

I've since gotten used to regularly checking that I didn't bump the switch. :D

·
Registered
2004 trailblazer_lt
5,240 Posts
today i was going down the street and i floored it about 30mph to 35mph then let off about 45mph to 50mph and let off the accelorater and it kept going i have no clue why any help.

btw i had to turn off the car to make it stop.

Thanks
Did the accelerator pedal stay on the floor when you lifted, or did it return as normal?

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im pretty sure the pedal is off the floor becuz it was not straigh accelerating and i hit the brake to slow down after it first went on then did it again so the cruise was off

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,113 Posts
Dunno why, but this is why I HATE drive-by-wire. Nothing wrong with cables in the past, why add an extra link that can go bad. Cables don't automatically open the throttle, your foot does..imagine being in a parking lot with kids and something freak happens. How many reported cases.....prolly few at most but who wants to be the one?

We have the technology to make accel cables smoth as butter with little resistance. IAC motors and stepper solenoids are much safer.
mine isnt drive by wire :undecided

iIRC its all electronic...the pcm "guesses" how far yur throttle pedal is depressed and thats how far the butterfly opens up...i kno wen im under my hood i can only rev by pressing the gas pedal...no opeing the throttle within arms reach :no:

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
mine isnt drive by wire :undecided

iIRC its all electronic...the pcm "guesses" how far yur throttle pedal is depressed and thats how far the butterfly opens up...i kno wen im under my hood i can only rev by pressing the gas pedal...no opeing the throttle within arms reach :no:
Umm. That is drive by wire. Electric wire not cable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.