Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say "thanks!" to all the guys who have taken the time to post the how tos and other related info - it made my installation of the DDX 712 a piece of cake!

I had to stay on a phased budget, so going full pull for the 9140 wasn't in the cards. Crutchfield.ca has the 712 on sale so I picked one up. It's basically the 9140 without BT or Nav, and 2v pre-outs vs. 5v. Crutchfield included the complimentary install kit and wire harness kit, so I just added the GMOS04, Sirius cable and tuner, and swi-jack to complete the collection of bits. I ordered the BT200 from ebay for much less and it came through aok.

One note - eject all your CDs from your old head unit BEFORE you unplug it. I didn't, and when trying to reinstall to eject them, it won't happen. Not sure why (some security thing?) but my fave 6 CDs are trapped in the factory head unit.:rolleyes:

The only snag in soldering up the wire harness was which wire to use for amp turn on; the kenwood has both a blue/white and an orange/white for the amp; I selected the orange which resulted in a weird restart of the amp every 20 seconds at low volume. Swapped it over to the blue/white, and pulled all grounds to a common point, and problem solved.

The swijack on kenwood uses a green wire tapped off the block under the column, so you'll have to sneak it under there from wherever you mount the swi-jack. When choosing, make sure you put it somewhere accessible, as you'll need to see the unit to program it. I don't know if it will need to be re-programmed when the battery is disconnected, so again, best to have it accessible.

On the GMOS04, I found that I had to turn up the gain to really make the system sing - it was set much too low from the factory. Maybe to accommodate 5v head units?:confused:

A couple of tips if you go with this or similar kenwood decks. You don't need the ipod cable - it has a USB input, and a 1/8" stereo audio input on the deck, so you can use the ipod cable that came with your ipod, and a 1/8" male to male cable and it works just perfect, including charging your ipod. However, if you want to run video from your ipod, you'll have to buy the cable.

Using the USB feature with a thumbdrive loaded with tunes works OK, but the navigation to find your music isn't all that great. I tried it and decided the ipod interface is much better.

Once you figure out the rather odd interface of the kenwood, you'll discover it can really make the Bose system sound MUCH better. I found the stock Bose to be boomy, and to have an ugly ~2khz brightness. With some fine tuning (the 3 band eq allows you to move the bands around), those problems are solved and it's all good to go.

The BT works perfectly (software ver 1.7), no weird echos or anything, and it picks up the calls seamlessly. The sirius again works well, but I opted to put the antenna under the dash cover by the front vent, and the reception drops out more than on my old vehicle with the antenna mounted on the roof. I'll be moving it to the back of the roof this weekend.

The dvd screen is beautiful; I was worried because the splash screen is really low res. You can assign your own background pic, which is a nice feature.

Sorry for the lack of pics; there's really not much to it and once installed it looks pretty close to a factory install. Next up is the rearview camera, and when I find a good sale price on the KNA-G510 nav unit, I'll add that.

If I can help with any questions, fire away. Again, thanks to all who posted and made this project a breeze.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
15 Posts
I'm happy to hear that everything went well. I plan on installing the DDX814 in a couple of weeks when it arrives. I thought I had planned everything out:

DDX814
GMOS-04
KCA-iP301V iPod Video Direct Cable
GM Kit 01-up, DD
GM Antenna Adapter Motorola M to OEM antenna F
PAC SWI-JACKv1

... But I noticed that you mentioned a harness. Do you have the product number from Crutchfield? I didn't find one by searching so I planned on cutting the ones from the factory Bose stereo. I also plan to turn the gain on the GMOS-04 as low as possible before testing so I don't short it out (5v preouts). Other than that, thanks for the tips and I'll post here if it went well.

TokaHao

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bad, the wiring harness IS the GMOS-04. You have to take the Kenwood harness and match things up/solder to make the replacement harness.

Good luck with the install, I hope you'll be as pleased as I was with the result!

Oh, and I did move the sirius antenna to the back on the roof and it has dramatically improved the signal reception. A must-do really.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
15 Posts
After about 6 hours of slow labor I have everything installed:

HD88BK headrests --> found 12v RAP from rear seat controls
ZNCBLPAK --> same 12v RAP from rear seat controls
DDX814 --> beautiful!
GMOS-04 --> unsure about quality

...it's all working properly except there is an annoying buzzing sound coming from the rear speakers. I tried turning down the gain on the GMOS-04 but I couldn't hear anything unless the volume was up to 30. Are you having any problems with your GMOS-04 unit?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My GMOS 04 seems to be OK. I did read of a few problems like that though (buzzing, humming), which is why I brought all the grounds to a common point (the stud directly behind the head unit). Don't know if it made a difference or I just got lucky.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
15 Posts
Thanks. I unshielded the central ground cable and touched it to the chassis without any difference so I left it the way it is. I did turn down the gain on the GMOS-04 a hair (seriously, just a hair) and the hissing/buzzing went away completely. Now everything sounds gorgeous.

I dislike the slowness of the software on the Kenwood when compared to factory and the touchscreen takes some getting used to. The iPod interface is nice to have on the screen but not as nice as being able to swipe and swoosh on the iPod touch directly; I had installed a Peripherals iPod interface a year ago and it has the ability to play and control on the factory stereo, charge, and still control on the iPod (no "Accessory Mode")--I miss it. Still, I am happy.

Tokahao

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
15 Posts
Updated the firmware for my DDX-814 and now the responsiveness of my HU is quite impressive.

I was hearing a really annoying buzzing sound from the rear speakers while driving but it turned out that it was only happening when the voy was in AWD. I ended up buying a grounding kit and putting it back into 2WD. I have an occassional buzz going on but I relate it to the GMOS and the AMP ON feature. I might consider troubleshooting that a bit more or invest in a replacement amp for the Bose after doing some research on the forums.

I don't want to lose RAP so ditching the GMOS-04 completely seems to be out of the question.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts