Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
900 Posts
CANDi was before CANBUS, right?
My Tech 2 came with a CANdi module but I have never used that. It is my understanding that the Tech 2 is natively SAE J1850 VPW and the CANdi handles translation between the CANBUS (or others) and the Tech 2.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My Tech 2 came with a CANdi module but I have never used that. It is my understanding that the Tech 2 is natively SAE J1850 VPW and the CANdi handles translation between the CANBUS (or others) and the Tech 2.

Ah, git it. was confused about the purpose of the CANDi module.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not Trailblazer, but about codes nonetheless:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Not Trailblazer, but about codes nonetheless:
Yep. A lot of incorrect info there but they were trying and got some results and points for trying!

Here is a thread that sort of got me started long ago. It also has some innacuracies but it was enough to get me started. Note that it is far easier and cheaper now to do what he talks about.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
872 Posts
ilv2rk, Thanks for the brand information on the VVT solenoid and the camshaft position solenoid. While I am not a fan of Duralast sensors, they should be OK (at least the reviews on these particular parts are positive on the Autozone website). Fortunately, you did not go with white box $9.99 parts from ebay or amazon.

·
Registered
44 Posts
An additional experience I had with OBD Fusion. I was using the app in an unconventional way, doing a direct memory read of a TCCM module and had some difficulties. I emailed their tech support and had a prompt reply and was able to work through the issue with their assistance even though what I was doing was outside the scope of their design! Anyone who has ever tried to get any manner of support from the Torque developer knows the futility of that endeavor!
Cudos for the extra customer service effort!
I see that Fusion and Torque are < $5, but Car Scanner is *Free. Other than sterling CS with debugging machine code, are there any noteworthy differences worth sharing?

*nothing is free; apparently, there are ads to sell you stuff.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Cudos for the extra customer service effort!
I see that Fusion and Torque are < $5, but Car Scanner is *Free. Other than sterling CS with debugging machine code, are there any noteworthy differences worth sharing?

*nothing is free; apparently, there are ads to sell you stuff.

The Car Scanner app does have some limitations in the free version. A notable one is the limitation of just 2 parameters can be viewed on a graph simultaneously. There are likely others. The Car Scanner pro upgrade has a variable price structure. You can pay from 2.99 to 6.49 for the same upgrade. The higher level is available to toss the developer and a little extra. But seriously, we are talking about less money than a cheap lunch. When I bought my first IBM clone around 1990 it cost me about $6000 for the system and $600 for 2 or maybe 3 software titles and they weren't even major endeavors!!

I haven't used OBD Fusion much. I only investigated that app to be able to see what other apps were capable of and perhaps the OBD Fusion iPhone version is similar. I sometimes see folks ask about what is availavle for iPhone.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Envoy 4.2
15 Posts
For what it's worth,,, all these cam data points CAN be monitored with an investment of less than $20 on a good bluetooth OBD2 adapter and a smartphone app.

Here is a screenshot of my 2002 Trailblazer LL8 seen in Torque Pro. The data points (pids) need to be added as they do not come with the app.

View attachment 56486
TJBaker:
Does this mean you have the ability to program the fan clutch to operate within specified parameters at all times, or is this limited to the session you are engaged in with the OBDII scanner? sorry wrong link in the quote...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Program the fan clutch? I doubt that can be done with a cheap online scanner. Most likely you need the expensive Tech2 for bidirectional communication. I never had a Tech2, but thought you can only turn fan clutch on/off with the tool.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I do have a Tech 2 and as far as controlling the fan or the cam phaser or other outputs like turning on the fuel pump or activating the front axle disconnect; what I can do with the Bluetooth OBD2 adapter and my phone is the same that can be done with the Tech 2. That is a temporary request for control of a specific PCM output such as the Fan Speed Control intended solely for test purposes. It is not anything like programming the PCM to alter the fan speed control established by the manufacturer.

All operations of the Tech 2 and any other scanner that requests codes, clears codes, performs tests or programming of a module does so using the very same language and message structure. No magic hardware.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the info. I didn’t realize all those can be done with a non Tech 2. Regarding fan clutch pcm, i do have to wonder the value in running electrical tests on it. I can just use a rag to “friction brake” the fan blade ring to see if the clutch is engaged at high temperatures or not. In general, the biggest problem with them is they get locked up and unable to spin freely. I do know it engages momentarily at vehicle start up and releases when rpm drops. I have NO idea if the fans get locked up or not because of signal errors or just because of the electro hydraulic (right?) viscous oil inside.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Here is the definitive post to read regarding the workings of the fan clutch...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2006 Trailblazer LT 118000 miles. 4.2 L6 Engine
I have been fighting with this issue for over a year.
I have checked oil level
Changed oil and filter
Replaced the Cam Sensor
Replaced the VTT (2X)
Replaced All 6 Ignition Coils
Replaced all plugs
I have cleared codes what seems like 100’s of times.
I talked to a mechanic and he said that I have done everything that he would have done.
I am still getting the same P0016 code.
How do I get rid of it?
I have a 2006 Trailblazer LT 118000 miles. 4.2 L6 Engine
I have been fighting with this issue for over a year.
I have checked oil level
Changed oil and filter
Replaced the Cam Sensor
Replaced the VTT (2X)
Replaced All 6 Ignition Coils
Replaced all plugs
I have cleared codes what seems like 100’s of times.
I talked to a mechanic and he said that I have done everything that he would have done.
I am still getting the same P0016 code.
How do I get rid of it?
Chevy Trailblazer P0016: Crank/Cam Position Correlation – Bank 1 Sensor “A” P0016 is know to occur in the Chevy Trailblazer when the Crankshaft Position Sensor and the Camshaft Position Sensor are out of alignment by a certain number of degrees, or if there is a sensor issue.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts