Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been looking for a new pair of front speakers for my 2002 Envoy. I already have an aftermarket headunit installed (Clarion FB275BT). All I want is crystal clear mids and highs with blended bass.

The Infinity Kappa 62.9i speakers caught my eye- but Crutchfield claims they won't fit. Are they too deep? Mounting holes won't line up? Or is it just an error on their part?

There's also a shallow 62.9is available but I'd prefer the fullsize ones if they'll work with minimal/no modification.

Will these fit or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks!

Edit: There's a nonremovable crossover box. Could that be the issue?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
do you have bose? otherwise you should be looking at 6.5's

i had the kappa comps, the midbass was "ok" and the tweeats weare a bit harsh. IMO.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. 2 votes down for the Infinity speakers- I'll look elsewhere then. JL Audio's products do look good.

I thankfully don't have Bose junk in my car. "Better profits through marketing". :D

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No, no amping at this point. Too much for my budget.

Edit: Do the JL Audio C2-650X speakers do well unamped or am I better off getting something easier to drive? Crutchfield claims they don't fit but I'm not so sure I trust their guidelines.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
103 Posts
No, no amping at this point. Too much for my budget.

Edit: Do the JL Audio C2-650X speakers do well unamped or am I better off getting something easier to drive? Crutchfield claims they don't fit but I'm not so sure I trust their guidelines.
Yes, the C2's will be fine off of just your headunit. I wouldnt go off of their guidelines either. If you honestly had any trouble getting them in, im sure a local car audio installer could help you out. I have two sets of XR components in mine, and im sure those are deeper and i had no issues putting them in.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll probably go with the JL Coaxials over a component set since I want to try to keep everything reversible. The idea is to put the old system back in when I trade this car off down the road which could be a problem if I cut out the existing tweeters.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've read that the tweeters in the front would need to be cut out, which isn't reversible and therefore not something I'd want to do. I went ahead and bought a set of the JL Audio C2 coaxes. I can always resell them if I change my mind in the future and want comps instead.

I don't see a factory tweeter location other than in the doors next to the woofers. Different trim maybe?

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
I've read that the tweeters in the front would need to be cut out, which isn't reversible and therefore not something I'd want to do.
ca glue reverses everything:woot:

I don't see a factory tweeter location other than in the doors next to the woofers. Different trim maybe?
the bose system has them in the top of the dash instead of the door, some people without bose have used that spot for aftermarket tweets

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.