Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
International Chapter
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
Joined
·
3,900 Posts
ghoster said:
The initial 0-60 time seems to be feasable. 8.5 seconds stock. Don't know about that second number though. I suppose anything is possible though. I am curious to see what mine would do 0-60.....any body got a stop watch I can borrow???:D
No, but i dare you to race me :raspberry call me any time any where !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
ylab said:
Something sure seems wrong here, 7.7 0-60 seems way to quick for a 4.2 with an intake. (Those times are more along what a much smaller/lighter FX35 with 280hp and a 5 speed runs).
It might not be not too far off. I have a Car&Driver test between a 2002 TrailBlazer, Explorer and a Toyota Highlander. C&D managed to pull a 7.9 0-60 time with the 4x4 TB (best in test), but I don't remember the gearing. Motor Trend got 8.0 0-60 with an '02 Enovy SLT 4x4 with 3.73 gears.

But, as others have mentioned the mags are pretty brutal with the cars to get these numbers. They usually power brake (a.k.a. brake stand) and manually shift automatics if they find that helps. Bottom line is they will do whatever they can to get the best time, though the published result is usu. an average of the best three runs or something like that.

FWIW I know someone who timed a rented '04 Envoy 4.2 4x4 w/ 3.42 gears at 8.75 sec. 0-60 after doing a brake stand. This was with one pass only and a digital watch for the timing. Very unscientific, but a fairly good "real world" number.

I would agree though, that the gains in this case do seem a bit high. But the diff. in the 0-60 time could be due to a bunch of other factors such as weather and the road on which the run was made. Lots of variables to account for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My Trailblazer is a LS 2WD with cloth seats It wieghts around 300lbs less than a Loaded 4wd with leather and all the options.. When most mags do testing they use the fully loaded modles that will be slower than a base modle from there extra weight..

Now as far as g-force meter not being accurite.. car and driver did a test on 5 differant types of these 0-60 meters. They found they were all with in 1/10th of a second accurite to GSP... I used the same G-force meter to do the befor and after runs so they will be accurite to compare with each other.

Stock 8.5, 0-60
K&N cai 8.0, 0-60
AirAid TBS 8.2, 0-60
K&N & TBS 7.7 0-60

The two mods work well with each other.:yes:

The intake dose make it alot louder and the tbs makes a anoying wisle sound.

Next friday I'm getting a jet chip stage 1 and I'll let you all know what it dose for my 0-60 times.. Jet chips dyno with 89 octane on a stock 4.2 envoy shows 10-20hp gain thoughout the entire rpm band.
 

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
Joined
·
575 Posts
traumadog said:
just to be curious - I wonder how much of the gain was due to the K&N, and how much was from the TB spacer...
K&N Series 77 Intake claims an increase of 10.8 horsepower. I can definitely feel it if this is true. I wonder how much torque though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,741 Posts
i highly doubt that you will get 10-20 hp from the jet chip I had that before westers made the tune for my 03 and it sucked I threw it away I would save up some more money and get something else besides the jet chip
 

·
Northwest Chapter
Joined
·
11,824 Posts
runzwitsisors said:
My Trailblazer is a LS 2WD with cloth seats It wieghts around 300lbs less than a Loaded 4wd with leather and all the options.. When most mags do testing they use the fully loaded modles that will be slower than a base modle from there extra weight..

Now as far as g-force meter not being accurite.. car and driver did a test on 5 differant types of these 0-60 meters. They found they were all with in 1/10th of a second accurite to GSP... I used the same G-force meter to do the befor and after runs so they will be accurite to compare with each other.

Stock 8.5, 0-60
K&N cai 8.0, 0-60
AirAid TBS 8.2, 0-60
K&N & TBS 7.7 0-60

The two mods work well with each other.:yes:

The intake dose make it alot louder and the tbs makes a anoying wisle sound.

Next friday I'm getting a jet chip stage 1 and I'll let you all know what it dose for my 0-60 times.. Jet chips dyno with 89 octane on a stock 4.2 envoy shows 10-20hp gain thoughout the entire rpm band.

STOP RIGHT THERE!!!!!

DO NOT GET A JET CHIP!!! There are much better tunes out there that will give you more performance such as Westers and Wait4me (not out now, but within a few weeks).

And, glad you have some #s for a TBS. I have always wondered if it did any good, but I can sure feel it on launch.
 

·
Banned
chevy
Joined
·
12,260 Posts
AbuAbdulAziz said:
you would not !! :mad:
you have 22, i have 17 i win !! :D
I have a westers tune and a CAI.....I win!!:D

of course paying for the gas is killing me...so you win there. What are you paying now?? $1 USD per gallon??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Way off track.

ltz03 said:
i highly doubt that you will get 10-20 hp from the jet chip I had that before westers made the tune for my 03 and it sucked I threw it away I would save up some more money and get something else besides the jet chip

:no: Dyno Charts dont lie!! Go to the jet chips web page and look for your self. It shows a stedy gain from 10-20hp from idel to redline on a 02 envoy 4.2! Jet Chips is Very Large company that is well known. Jet Chips would not be where they are if there mods did not work! I never even heard of westers tune befor i came to this forum.. Why should i bleave this company is any better just becuase a few people I dont know says it is?!? For all i know you own the company and your just trying to get me to by your product.

Whats up with the know it alls? All I do is put out a post to let you know that these 2 mods really do work and all you hear is negative feed back about "ohh" there is know way your truck is that fast and "ohh" there are other mods that are better dont use those. This post is for people thinking of getting these 2 products not for those who go though and read every post and put there own know it all 2 cents in. So if you dont bleave me who cares! Post your own topic on how you know it all and the mods you have are the best and people who dont do the same mods as you suck..

I hope this post dont piss to many people off. lol.. It just seems every where i go everyone has to be so negative about everything.
 

·
International Chapter
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
Joined
·
3,900 Posts
ghoster said:
I have a westers tune and a CAI.....I win!!:D
I have CAI too !! you dont win :mad:

of course paying for the gas is killing me...so you win there. What are you paying now?? $1 USD per gallon??
Nope, guess what ?? since the oil prices got high, and we export oil, Saudi king decieded that the price per liter is gonna be $0.16 :D
MO hahahahahah i W I N :D

P.S: b4 any one make a big fuss out of this, you can check it out at the CNN webSite..
 

·
Banned
chevy
Joined
·
12,260 Posts
runzwitsisors said:
:no: Dyno Charts dont lie!! Go to the jet chips web page and look for your self. It shows a stedy gain from 10-20hp from idel to redline on a 02 envoy 4.2! Jet Chips is Very Large company that is well known. Jet Chips would not be where they are if there mods did not work! I never even heard of westers tune befor i came to this forum.. Why should i bleave this company is any better just becuase a few people I dont know says it is?!? For all i know you own the company and your just trying to get me to by your product.

Whats up with the know it alls? All I do is put out a post to let you know that these 2 mods really do work and all you hear is negative feed back about "ohh" there is know way your truck is that fast and "ohh" there are other mods that are better dont use those. This post is for people thinking of getting these 2 products not for those who go though and read every post and put there own know it all 2 cents in. So if you dont bleave me who cares! Post your own topic on how you know it all and the mods you have are the best and people who dont do the same mods as you suck..

I hope this post dont piss to many people off. lol.. It just seems every where i go everyone has to be so negative about everything.
You are being negative as well. Many people on here have tried this chip and were just trying to tell you its a waste of money. The problem with it is this. The trailvoy family of vehicles is EXTREMELY computer dependant. ok....so you plug a chip in and it changes the settings. The problem is, the computers WILL begin to compensate for the changed readings. Not many other vehicles on the road are going to do this. So after a few months of driving, the vehicle will have adjusted for anything the chip is doing, and will have returned you to close to stock performance. Thats why we all say its a waste of money for this application. The only effective way to do this trucks is to reprogram the factory settings to provide more performance. Nobody was trying to be negative, you just hadn't seen the few hundred posts that had already been made on this subject.
 

·
Northwest Chapter
Joined
·
11,824 Posts
runzwitsisors said:
:no: Dyno Charts dont lie!! Go to the jet chips web page and look for your self. It shows a stedy gain from 10-20hp from idel to redline on a 02 envoy 4.2! Jet Chips is Very Large company that is well known. Jet Chips would not be where they are if there mods did not work! I never even heard of westers tune befor i came to this forum.. Why should i bleave this company is any better just becuase a few people I dont know says it is?!? For all i know you own the company and your just trying to get me to by your product.

Whats up with the know it alls? All I do is put out a post to let you know that these 2 mods really do work and all you hear is negative feed back about "ohh" there is know way your truck is that fast and "ohh" there are other mods that are better dont use those. This post is for people thinking of getting these 2 products not for those who go though and read every post and put there own know it all 2 cents in. So if you dont bleave me who cares! Post your own topic on how you know it all and the mods you have are the best and people who dont do the same mods as you suck..

I hope this post dont piss to many people off. lol.. It just seems every where i go everyone has to be so negative about everything.
Hey man, bet you didnt know they take those #s at the crank, right?:x

No where near that hp actually comes out, wait for a tune and save yourself some grief. There are many folks on this board who HAVE BOUGHT both a stage 1 and 2 chips and say they pretty much suck balls. Get a custom tune as I mentioned before and do yourself a favor.

And, the PCM in our trucks will eventually compensate for the chip, so after a year it will be basically back to stock. Nice waste of $250.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
:iagree:

Don't believe everything you read on "ANY" website (except Trailvoy).

JetChip has never had the confidence in their product to answer any of my concerns about their product or statements. :weird: Apparently I am severely less intelligent than their customers.:rotfl:

Let the flaming begin.
 

·
International Chapter
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
Joined
·
3,900 Posts
ghoster said:
You are being negative as well. Many people on here have tried this chip and were just trying to tell you its a waste of money. The problem with it is this. The trailvoy family of vehicles is EXTREMELY computer dependant. ok....so you plug a chip in and it changes the settings. The problem is, the computers WILL begin to compensate for the changed readings. Not many other vehicles on the road are going to do this. So after a few months of driving, the vehicle will have adjusted for anything the chip is doing, and will have returned you to close to stock performance. Thats why we all say its a waste of money for this application. The only effective way to do this trucks is to reprogram the factory settings to provide more performance. Nobody was trying to be negative, you just hadn't seen the few hundred posts that had already been made on this subject.
:undecided someone got serious !! ;) :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Happy with my Jet chip!

the hp #'s were wheel horse power if you would go to the web sight like I said.. It was pulling like 220 whp befor mod and 240whp after..

I got the chip today BTW.. Ran a few 0-60 runs. It was a very hot about 88 humid day. It rained on and off thoughout the day. So i ended up getting a best of 7.6 0-60 after the chip.. befor I got the chip I ran 0-60 runs on a cool dry day and ran 7.7.. so I'm sure if I was to do some more runs on a cooler dryer day I would be in the 7.5 rang.:D

I can really feal a awesome power gain! Befor I installed the Jet Chip today becuase it was so hot the truck seemed to be bogging up untill it hit the 4K rpm rang but after the chip it got its spunk back! I can allso tell the the shift points have been stiffend up quit a bit and it shifts and down shifts alot faster.

My wife and I went on a test drive rite after I installed it and even she said she could feal a power gain.. She told me that she felt a larger power gain from the jet chip than the CIA and TBS gave. Shes not the type of person to give a crap about hp or speed but she smiled the frist time I floored it and it jumped forward after a down shift and threw us back into our seats..

Over all I'm very happy with Jet Chip.. For 230 bucks Its a good bang for buck upgrade. Now there are 2 versions one is made for Califoria and other it made for other states that dont care about polution.. I got the non tree hugger version so I'm sure it will out perform the 50 state cali version.
 

·
Northwest Chapter
Joined
·
11,824 Posts
runzwitsisors said:
the hp #'s were wheel horse power if you would go to the web sight like I said.. It was pulling like 220 whp befor mod and 240whp after..

I got the chip today BTW.. Ran a few 0-60 runs. It was a very hot about 88 humid day. It rained on and off thoughout the day. So i ended up getting a best of 7.6 0-60 after the chip.. befor I got the chip I ran 0-60 runs on a cool dry day and ran 7.7.. so I'm sure if I was to do some more runs on a cooler dryer day I would be in the 7.5 rang.:D

I can really feal a awesome power gain! Befor I installed the Jet Chip today becuase it was so hot the truck seemed to be bogging up untill it hit the 4K rpm rang but after the chip it got its spunk back! I can allso tell the the shift points have been stiffend up quit a bit and it shifts and down shifts alot faster.

My wife and I went on a test drive rite after I installed it and even she said she could feal a power gain.. She told me that she felt a larger power gain from the jet chip than the CIA and TBS gave. Shes not the type of person to give a crap about hp or speed but she smiled the frist time I floored it and it jumped forward after a down shift and threw us back into our seats..

Over all I'm very happy with Jet Chip.. For 230 bucks Its a good bang for buck upgrade. Now there are 2 versions one is made for Califoria and other it made for other states that dont care about polution.. I got the non tree hugger version so I'm sure it will out perform the 50 state cali version.
Well, if you are happy, then thats what counts.

BTW, we have no relations with Westers except they are execellent to work with, a lot of members have their tunes, and they are a supporting vendor because lots of members have bought their tunes.

And, the 2 versions are not for CA and the rest of us, one is a stage one for lightly modded/stock trucks and the other stage 2 is for more modded trucks. And, both require 89 (stage 2 is recommended 91+).

I know you feel a lot of power increase now, but Im telling you man, there are many people on this site (and others too) who can tell you that after a while their Jet chip became basically useless. And, Westers actually reflashes the PCM so it cant ever revert to stock like the Jet.

As for realy dyno results of 20hp, I highly doubt it. If you dynoed your TB before and then after the chip install and posted some hard data sheets I would be more inclinded to believe you.
 

·
Banned
chevy
Joined
·
12,260 Posts
:iagree: I agree with my esteemed colleague...or something like that. If you are happy thats what matters. We weren't out to bash anybody, just wanted to try to share the weath of experience here. Hopr your chip works out for ya! :cool:
 
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
Top