Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2004 trailblazer Ls 2wd 4.2 with 12K miles and with only a K&N intake and a Airaid TBS I installed today.. I droped .8 seconds off my 0-60 time. I have a G-Force Meter that I used about 3 weeks ago befor i had any mods and i ran a 8.5 0-60 and today I ran a 7.7 run to 60. I cant bleave what a differance these simple mods made. I would run 1/4 mile times with the unit but I dont feal like paying a ticket for 100 in a 55 zone. So 0-60 comparisons is what I do. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thats awesome!! I just installed the K&N kit and TB spacer yesterday too. Mine is very loud. Especially when I give a a lot of gas. Is yours the same?

·
Registered
2007 chevy
99 Posts
Any interest in removing the spacer to see what just the K&N does? I am sure alot of folks on here would appreciate the info. I have the K&N and I am interested in whether the TBS is worth it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ok I am not a motor head but I do want to beef up my TB. What the heck is a K&B or a TB spacer. I thank you for you patients with me.:eek:

Mark

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
634 Posts
North40 said:
Ok I am not a motor head but I do want to beef up my TB. What the heck is a K&B or a TB spacer. I thank you for you patients with me.:eek:

Mark

K&N is an air intake that replaces the restrictive stock intake. Air flows more smoothly which results in more horsepower and better gas mileage.

TB Spacer (Throttle Body Spacer) goes in between the throttle body and intake, and causes the air entering the throttle to swirl in a tornado like fashion, and supposedly provide you with more horsepower and better gas mileage.

·
International Chapter
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,900 Posts
mbtransam said:
Any interest in removing the spacer to see what just the K&N does? I am sure alot of folks on here would appreciate the info. I have the K&N and I am interested in whether the TBS is worth it.
Hi, i have both also, BUT, when i had the K&N alone i gained the sound and power " was really abvoius " but after the TBS the only thing i REALLY felt was the better throttle responce .. dont know about the power gain, but it defenatlly made a defrence :D

·
Registered
375 Posts
runzwitsisors said:
Hi, I have a 2004 trailblazer Ls 2wd 4.2 with 12K miles and with only a K&N intake and a Airaid TBS I installed today.. I droped .8 seconds off my 0-60 time. I have a G-Force Meter that I used about 3 weeks ago befor i had any mods and i ran a 8.5 0-60 and today I ran a 7.7 run to 60. I cant bleave what a differance these simple mods made. I would run 1/4 mile times with the unit but I dont feal like paying a ticket for 100 in a 55 zone. So 0-60 comparisons is what I do. :thumbsup:
.8 tenths quicker 0-60 on a 4700lb vehicle is about 25hp gain.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
634 Posts
turbomike said:
.8 tenths quicker 0-60 on a 4700lb vehicle is about 25hp gain.

If that's true, then this story is either BS, or someone/something miscalculated. No way you gain 25 HP from just an intake and TBS.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Something sure seems wrong here, 7.7 0-60 seems way to quick for a 4.2 with an intake. (Those times are more along what a much smaller/lighter FX35 with 280hp and a 5 speed runs). I'm wondering if g-tech wasn't calibrated/level and/or the roads were different with the vehicle on a slight incline/decline during one of the runs?

If memory serves correctly, the fastest magazine clocking I recall seeing for a 4.2 was around 8.1 seconds and the test vehicle had 4.11 gears. (And many times the mags usually dump the tranny or use a rolling start to obtain their numbers). Don't recall if those times were with a 2WD or 4WD vehicle though and he does have a 2WD TB.....just for a reality check, anybody else with a 2WD time their truck?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Envoy_Fan said:
Ray, what do you mean by dumping the tranny??
Some of them do the equivalent of dumping a clutch, pull the shifter into neutral to rev up and then drop it into drive as they're punching down on the throttle! - Allows the motor to rev up before the forward clutches fully engage. You could perform a burn-out with a Yugo doing it, but the thought of it makes me cringe. :no:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
9,380 Posts
ylab said:
Ray said:
Some of them do the equivalent of dumping a clutch, pull the shifter into neutral to rev up and then drop it into drive as they're punching down on the throttle! - Allows the motor to rev up before the forward clutches fully engage. You could perform a burn-out with a Yugo doing it, but the thought of it makes me cringe. :no:
Your description is what came to mind as I read your first post, :eek: but I just wanted to be sure. Not something I would want to do to mine :rolleyes:

·
Registered
414 Posts
The tranny dump method you are referring to does not work on the TB/Envoy.

The PCM has control over the actual throttle position and closes it back some and reduces the engine torque when the tranny is shifted into drive. This is all part of the GM engine/transmission abuse controls built into the PCM.

In case you forgot, the PCM will only allow the engine Rpm to reach ~3000 when the transmission is in neutral or park.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Not so sure it wouldn't. On one or to occasions when I've been rushed and a little hot under the collar, I've moved the selector into 'D' and mashed the pedal w/o pausing for that 1/2 a second or so it takes to find a gear and managed a pretty good hole-shot......and not actually intending to do one. (Actually did it once in 'R' too, followed by one in 'D' once when I was really :hissy:). - This was pre-Wester's too, not sure what would happen if I deliberately tried it with the Wester's tune. (Most of my TQM has been removed).

·
Banned
chevy
12,260 Posts
The initial 0-60 time seems to be feasable. 8.5 seconds stock. Don't know about that second number though. I suppose anything is possible though. I am curious to see what mine would do 0-60.....any body got a stop watch I can borrow???:D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts