Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new here so I had a question. Just this week, I decided to do my own oil change on my 2006 Trailblazer. I haven't done my own oil changes for years but, I decided, that since I have 115,000 on 'er to make the switch to full synthetic. So, I picked up 7 quarts (that's what it says the 4.2 needed) of Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w30. Put 'er up on the ramps, drained the pan and removed the filter. Put the plug back in after quite a while, put the new Extended Life Fram filter on, and then filler 'er up with 7 quarts. But, the question I have is this. When I put the old oil into the 5 quart Mobil 1 can to take it for recycling, it didn't even fill it up. And, when I check the dipstick, it barely shows as being on the tip of the stick even though I put 7 new quarts in.....what the?????

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
155 Posts
A. Did you check the oil level before you drained it?
B. Did you check the oil level after you took the vehicle off the ramps or before?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oil was checked before and it was full. After the oil change, the car was
backed off the ramps and let sit for a while before checking it. Now, since I originally wrote this post, I went outside today and checked the level and it's right where it should be....kinda wierd huh?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
It takes some time (especially with cold oil) for it all to drain down to the pan.

I usually go about cleaning up and putting all the tools away, and then check it.

Also, hate to tell you, but Fram filters are JUNK. Use Wix, Mobil 1, NAPA Gold, Purolator Pure One, or K&N.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
54 Posts
Also, hate to tell you, but Fram filters are JUNK. Use Wix, Mobil 1, NAPA Gold, Purolator Pure One, or K&N.
:coffee agreed 110% i use only Mobile 1, i would say fram is only good on small engines, but i still dont think i would use one then.

·
Registered
gmc envoy_slt
5 Posts
i have an 02 Envoy and when i ask about using a synthetic oil i was told that since the seals were broken in with a regular oil th3e switcvh to syn oil could cause seals to start to leak. How much of this is true andhow much is BS. this oil change was done at a valvoline station.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have used amsoil on my truck since we got it at 37,000 miles used. Since then it has only seen amsoil and no leaks. The bit about only staying with one type of oil is a wives tale I believe and is not based in truth. If you go to the amsoil website their is a faq section and I believe that question/ answer is dealt with. Do your research and go with what you feel is right for you. I believe in amsoil so that is what I use . You might not feel the same way and want to go another way. It is your choice so go with want you feel.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
257 Posts
i have an 02 Envoy and when i ask about using a synthetic oil i was told that since the seals were broken in with a regular oil th3e switcvh to syn oil could cause seals to start to leak. How much of this is true andhow much is BS. this oil change was done at a valvoline station.

Its BS! you can use syn oil I use Mobil 1 Ext Performance with a Mobil 1 oil filter. I also notice a little better gas mileage and power :yes:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
I switched to Mobil1 two oil changes ago and for the first time in my trucks life (113k miles) I am burning oil at high rpm/load. I can see a little smoke behind me, especially in the dark with lights behind me, only when I floor it at high revs. During that time I put on a Borla cat-back and got the PCM4less tune so there were other changes too. I am considering switching back to conventional on this upcoming oil change just to see if I still burn any oil because I can't see the exhaust or tune being the cause of the sudden oil-burning. This is on a 4.2L 2004.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The oil should not be the problem if the same weight is used. When you switch back I guess you will know whether the oil was the issue or not.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts

100% BS. Change to full synthetic.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
38 Posts
I switched from Mobil 1 Extended performance to Royal Purple. Don't get me wrong Mobil 1 is good oil but, I noticed that with Royal Purple it runs so much smoother and quieter. I also use Baldwin filters. Cuz if they r good enough for tractors that r always under stress, they r good for me.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
Been using mobil 1 15k oil with m1 filter in my 08 since it was new changing it every 15k without a problem. At 43k now. My first post here btw :)

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
166 Posts

Known fact. That's why I never switched over. Stick with 5 30 regular oil.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts