Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed and AIRAID intake sytem dor my 03 envoy. And to be quite honest im a little disappointed... Its not as loud as i thought it would be? Does anyone have an answers to why this must be?

Its pretty simple installing an intake so i dont know how i could have messed it up. I want that throaty sound but i only get it at really HIGH rpms.

Ive installed an intake on an old car i had with a smaller 6 cycl engine and it sounded great. But this one is like not having one at all...

Help me out here

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle
3,097 Posts
AIRRAID keeps the factory intake resonator.. thats why there is not a noticeable change in sound...

try a K&N FIPK 57 series (what I have) and its very freaking loud
Yep, I have the Airaid and Majestic has the K&N. Our intakes sound way different. Mine has no real change from factory and his has a distinct sound from the intake:yes:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
143 Posts
I have the Airaid intake system with a few other mods and not being so loud lets me be a sleeper because when someone tries to run me and I hit it AND it just comes to life and hauls azz but its all in what you want really...you want more noise go with the K&N.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6q3RK4EDRg&feature=channel_page

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Just going to reiterate here, the intakes that leave the resonator IMO are pointless. They may wake your truck up, but the ones that replace it are much better (and are a little louder). My K&N FIPK2 is pretty loud under the hood and almost drowns out the exhaust note from my Magnaflow system. Of course a custom tune puts it all together...:D

·
AIRAID Premium Filters
2004 chevy other
77 Posts
I just installed and AIRAID intake sytem dor my 03 envoy. And to be quite honest im a little disappointed... Its not as loud as i thought it would be? Does anyone have an answers to why this must be?

Its pretty simple installing an intake so i dont know how i could have messed it up. I want that throaty sound but i only get it at really HIGH rpms.

Ive installed an intake on an old car i had with a smaller 6 cycl engine and it sounded great. But this one is like not having one at all...

Help me out here
Hello EnvoyBC,

I am sorry to hear that the Intake is not "Loud" enough for you.

Everybody's ear's are different and everybody is going to have a different opinion of what's "Loud" and what's "Quiet".

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You could take the resonator out and get the intake peices from Autozone and fab a piece to put in. That would give it some noise.
I was actually thinking of removing the resonator and machining my own attachment where the other two hoses hook up to it like the K&N has...since i work at a machine shop is souldnt be a big deal once i take some measurements

I just wasnt sure if removing the resonator would screw anything up like air flow, ruining the gas mileage, or some other negitive thing.

And dont get me wrong i like the Airaid for what i paid for it. Its looks pretty bad azz and it already seems to be helping out with gas mileage a little bit. I just would have liked it louder.

And again...removing the resonator box doesnt mess anything up just as long as i connect the other two hoses right?

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,422 Posts
Thats correct it wont harm anything. all the resonator does is help cancel the noise of the incoming air. Just my 2 cents hollow it out so you can still use it like a cover to dress up the engine. A few people here have done that

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,461 Posts
The airaid in my opinion seals with the bottom of the hood much better then any k&n. Ya, there isn't the loud roar you get from k&n, but oh well. When I held up an airaid, and k&n box filter to a light, and saw small pin sized holes in the k&n, that made up my mind on which one to get. :m2:

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
I was actually thinking of removing the resonator and machining my own attachment where the other two hoses hook up to it like the K&N has...since i work at a machine shop is souldnt be a big deal once i take some measurements

I just wasnt sure if removing the resonator would screw anything up like air flow, ruining the gas mileage, or some other negitive thing.

And dont get me wrong i like the Airaid for what i paid for it. Its looks pretty bad azz and it already seems to be helping out with gas mileage a little bit. I just would have liked it louder.

And again...removing the resonator box doesnt mess anything up just as long as i connect the other two hoses right?
Others on TV have made their own CAI's. IIRC they just used 4" PVC pipe or tubing. With your '03 you will also need two inlets, one for the fuel pressure regulator and one for the crankcase breather.:m2:

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for their insight and opinions.

I'll post a new thread once i make my "adapter" to get rid of the resonator, I'll put up some before and after pics as well.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
425 Posts
Thanks everyone for their insight and opinions.

I'll post a new thread once i make my "adapter" to get rid of the resonator, I'll put up some before and after pics as well.
cant wait to see it:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
The airaid in my opinion seals with the bottom of the hood much better then any k&n. Ya, there isn't the loud roar you get from k&n, but oh well. When I held up an airaid, and k&n box filter to a light, and saw small pin sized holes in the k&n, that made up my mind on which one to get. :m2:
once you oil the s*** out of it.....the pin hole size holes disappear.......:crackup:......I was disappointed as well with airaid......because it didn't work for my Envoy so I opted for a K&N Aircharger kit instead....anyways isn't the setup for the airaid and k&n the same for the heatshield??

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
I cant speak for the Airaid unit but my K&N FIPK2 seals very poorly all around. Think Im either going to try and fab up a metal piece to keep the engine air out by the radiator and/or mod the stock box to fit over the intake. My IATs skyrocket even sitting for 30 seconds from 7-8F above ambient to 30+, not acceptable.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,461 Posts
once you oil the s*** out of it.....the pin hole size holes disappear.......:crackup:......I was disappointed as well with airaid......because it didn't work for my Envoy so I opted for a K&N Aircharger kit instead....anyways isn't the setup for the airaid and k&n the same for the heatshield??
Ya, these were both air filters that were right out of the box, so everything was oiled and ready to go. Or, I could of just dunked it in oil to get rid of the holes :nono:. For the heat shield, the K&ns have like a rubber tube that just doesn't seem to seal well. Take a look at the pic and there is no denying it is sealing.

I cant speak for the Airaid unit but my K&N FIPK2 seals very poorly all around. Think Im either going to try and fab up a metal piece to keep the engine air out by the radiator and/or mod the stock box to fit over the intake. My IATs skyrocket even sitting for 30 seconds from 7-8F above ambient to 30+, not acceptable.

Here is a pic of how tight mine seals to the padding under the hood. Have to look in the upper left corner.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
286 Posts
Are there any performance differences with the resonator there or not?
I would guess no since it isn't hindering the air flow like a reduction hose would.
.01 hp .1 hp difference?

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
Hello EnvoyBC,

I am sorry to hear that the Intake is not "Loud" enough for you.

Everybody's ear's are different and everybody is going to have a different opinion of what's "Loud" and what's "Quiet".

Thanks,
David
Exactly... Filtration and MAF oiling notwithstanding, a lot of what I don't like about a lot of CAI systems is how loud they are... Might as well epoxy a gym whistle into the airstream... It may sound "super-duper-dank, dawg", but taking the resonator out doesn't do anything for power... It just makes it louder...

Mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts