Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
Thanks for all the info. Wish I would of read this before I bought it cause to be honest I wouldn't of bought it:nono:..... but so far so good:undecided.
Runs and drives super nice and with gas 1.70 a gallon its affordable to drive.
Have had two issues with it so far. I called and checked recalls before I got it and there were none outstanding. :(

1) abs light came one after a sudden stop in snow. Later went off and no issues since. Seems a common occurrence in abs and snow.:hopeless

2) pulled in a parking lot and parked, engine was running, i moved the tilt steering and all the lights went off, ran like poop and cut out. Key would release out of ignition and truck wouldn't start.
DEAD IN THE WATER! :(

I played with the tilt steering a bit, moved the ignition, it fired up and I drove it home. Got home and took the colum apart (I am some what a of decent mech. not ase cert. or anything but I have a lot of experience with street bikes and dune buggys....and some car exp over the years.)
Upon noticing the ignition has been changed I looked on line and found out they had some issues with the electrical...more like a lot of issues. All pointed towards the ignition and poor connections. So I cut all the zip ties and electrical tape around the wires below the ignition. Moved each wire to see what it does with the ignition in the one position to see if I can recreate the problem. Sure enough I did. Doesn't start, key will not release.

So I checked every connection and noticed the one directly under the dteering wheel going in to the tumbler, I think, was lose. Pushed it in and heard the locking click. WALLA!!!!!
No more problems....so far. Check engine light is on but I think it registered a code when it was lose and acting up. Once I put a heat cycle or two it should clear up. We'll see how it does. But as of right now it fires up fine and runs fine. :tiphat
That lose connection caused the dash to go nuts, wouldn't go in to 4x4, abs light was on, and once shut off wouldn't release the key. One lose connection caused a storm of issues.Glad it was just a lose connection.

Point is, if you have the same issues..... check your wiring under the cloum, make sure everything is nice and snug, properly connected, not spliced wires, or lose grounds.
All I used was a 7mm, a 10mm, and one razor blade to cut the old zips as I was testing everything.

The only problem left now is how do I put the lower cover back on????
it doesn't want to go in nice and quiet.

Thanks for all the posts here and look foward to posting here.
You can also find me on Sportbikes.ws were I have over 4k posts and 4 years.

btw sorry for the typo's in a hurry.....:bonk:

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
:tiphat Welcome :tiphat As for not buying if you had seen this forum: Remember most postings are people who need help with a problem. There are probably 15 people who don't have a problem with a part for every one who does. :m2: As for the spelling: I couldn't live without spell check.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
39 Posts
man it sounds like gm just cheaper out wire. sounds like as you tilt the wheel it stretches and puts a strain on the wire. ill bet if you traced the wire to the other end and replaced it with something an inch or 2 longer all the problems would go away.

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_ls
7,988 Posts
Welcome to the site! If you'll take a moment to fill out your profile in the User CP, it will help everyone to get to know you and your ride better.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,968 Posts
:tiphat Welcome :tiphat As for not buying if you had seen this forum: Remember most postings are people who need help with a problem. There are probably 15 people who don't have a problem with a part for every one who does. :m2: As for the spelling: I couldn't live without spell check.
this is so true.....most of us...unless we are posting "look at this".....we are normally complaining about something that went wrong.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. drove it to work today and no problems other then the Check engine light on.
Still need to put the bottom of the steering column on. Is there a trick to doing it cause I can't seem to get it to sit right with out bending tabs.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
2,079 Posts
Thanks for the replies. drove it to work today and no problems other then the Check engine light on.
Still need to put the bottom of the steering column on. Is there a trick to doing it cause I can't seem to get it to sit right with out bending tabs.
That is a PITA to get back on right.. IIRC it goes left to to right to get it to secure. If you haven't pulled the Tilt knob off I would do so, it makes it easier to get back on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is a PITA to get back on right.. IIRC it goes left to to right to get it to secure. If you haven't pulled the Tilt knob off I would do so, it makes it easier to get back on.

knob is off. couldn't get it off with out removing the knob.

truly is a pita!:mad:

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
1,356 Posts
Welcome to the site ... :tiphat

I have the Envoy XL and love the room. Have not have any major issues as of yet .. <knock on wood>

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi bro,

:tiphat welcome to the site :tiphat

now, you got the ride.. so ENJOY IT

take care
NO shiit! LOL I aint even made my first payment on it. I used to be a big VW guy and I thought those were problem cars. :eek:

Thats ok. "I'm an owner now and better start acting like one"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SURE ENOUGH MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TURNED AFTER A FEW HEAT CYCLES!
Ok...so...now I am feeling a little better about owning this...
Cross my fingers! :chillpill:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts