Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just a bought a 2005 GMC Envoy with 96,000 miles for $3,800 from my mechanic since my previous 2008 VW Jetta took a total dump on me. So, the first thing that I noticed was that no one bothered to fill the Dex-Coolant reservoir! Therefore, I had to go down to my local Advance Discount Auto Parts store and pay $40 for 2 things of Dex-Coolant which my truck ended up taking a gallon and a half and I checked there are no leaks, thank God!. Then, get ready for this, I tried filling the windshield wiper reservoir and after putting a gallon and half of Rain-X Bug wiper fluid in it one of my twin daughters asked me, "Daddy how come the car is leaking?" and sure enough I found out that there was a leak in the damn reservoir tank. Plus, there is also visible rust on the wiper arms and I am not sure if the windshield wiper pumps need to be replaced either. Then there is the issue of when after driving and I pull up into my driveway and I turn the truck off, it kind of has a "hard" turn off instead of a "quite" turn off.

Here are my questions for anyone who has experienced all of the above things before with their Envoy; 1. Is it easy to replace the windshield washer fluid reservoir yourself and where should I buy this part online, anyone have any "favorite" parts dealers? Also, how hard is it to replace both windshield wash pumps(Front and back) and where should I buy these parts. And finally, should I be worried about my engine when it turn it off and it makes that "hard turn off" noise and feel? I appreciate everyone's input and opinions/advice!! Thank you!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
467 Posts
If you're handy with tools at all, It's easy. Remove the resonator, the tanks right there. Look for a part number on the tank to be sure you order the right ones. You'll have to disconnect the washer pumps and put them in the new tank.
For the coolant leak, pressure test it or take it back to the mechanic you bought it from. Could be as easy as a water pump.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,459 Posts
If your "mechanic" sold you a vehicle that was significantly low on engine coolant as delivered, find a better mechanic!!

Before ordering any replacement washer fluid tank check to see where the leak is coming from. The pumps plug into the tank itself with small grommets to seal them. Your leak could be right there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're handy with tools at all, It's easy. Remove the resonator, the tanks right there. Look for a part number on the tank to be sure you order the right ones. You'll have to disconnect the washer pumps and put them in the new tank.
For the coolant leak, pressure test it or take it back to the mechanic you bought it from. Could be as easy as a water pump.
Quick question for you, my family and I live in a rental house and I do not have much of an assortment of good tools to use to work on my truck, could you suggest some basics that I would need to do repairs on my 2005 envoy? I plan on replacing the headlight lens because they are both "hazed over" and even though I use that headlight restorer stuff, I can't get rid of this haze on the plastic of the lens. Also, I wasn't too sure which types of tools I would need to be able to replace my headlight bulbs and fog light bulbs, I hear that I might have to remove some parts in order to get to them. Thanks for your help once again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your "mechanic" sold you a vehicle that was significantly low on engine coolant as delivered, find a better mechanic!!

Before ordering any replacement washer fluid tank check to see where the leak is coming from. The pumps plug into the tank itself with small grommets to seal them. Your leak could be right there.
Thank you for your reply, I wanted to ask you if you had to actually go online and buy replacement parts for the wind washer reservoir or the pumps, where would you get them? Are there any better online parts places than others? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,459 Posts
Thank you for your reply, I wanted to ask you if you had to actually go online and buy replacement parts for the wind washer reservoir or the pumps, where would you get them? Are there any better online parts places than others? Thanks for your help!
There was a time long ago when I would always buy new parts but now I am a scrapyard (Upull&Pay) dog. I get everything I can there. I hit a full sized 8 point deer this January at 65 mph. The air filter box needed replacement. Even the filter itself was caved in. I needed new pumps but the tank itself was good. In part this is why I suggested having a look to find your leak(s) first. The two pumps and the level sensor are places that could be the leak.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,424 Posts
Regarding the windshield reservoir leak, it is common for the washer fluid pump body to crack and leak. They are less expensive and less hassle to replace than replacing the windshield washer fluid reservoir. If you find that you do need to replace the reservoir, you can order a Dorman one from rockauto.com and save some money.

Regarding the headlight assemblies, I can highly recommend the TYC CAPA certified replacement assemblies, also available from rockauto.com I have used them on three of my vehicles with zero problems. Just bite the bullet and pay the extra few dollars for the CAPA certified ones rather than the NSF or non certified ones.

Regarding tools, you'll need a good 1/4" drive and 3/8" drive metric socket wrench selection, several 1/4" and 3/8" socket extensions, a good selection of screwdrivers (flat blade and phillips), Torx sockets, etc. Just as an FYI. Lowes currently have several Craftsman 200+ piece tool sets on sale for around $100. They also have a couple of Kobalt 200+ piece tool sets selling for ~$200 which will likely go on sale for around $100 sometime in the very near future for the Christmas season. I have a couple of their 232 tool sets and I really like them! Also, Home Depot has some of their Husky tool sets that are very similar to the Kobalt ones and they too will likely go on sale in the very near future.

As far as online auto parts go, I typically use rockauto.com and Amazon. I tend to stay away from ebay unless I know exactly what I am going to get from the seller. There are a lot of crappy counterfeit parts for sale on ebay and Amazon. Keep in mind that if what you are purchasing is being offered for a really low and amazing price, it's likely a fake. ACDelco spark plugs, coils and other engine management parts are favorites. When purchasing parts on Amazon, make sure that the seller and the fulfillment entities are both Amazon to minimize the risk of purchasing a bogus part.

Also, stay aware from the super cheap, no name white box auto parts as they are likely Chinese knock offs of knock offs and are of very low quality. Please do not be afraid to ask on here for "guidance" when it comes to purchasing auto parts or if you find one that seems too good to be true (sometimes you'll get lucky and come across a genuine deal). We are here to help!

Good Luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts