Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2008 Trailblazer in amazing condition. It has 123K miles and looks like new...really! Exterior is dark cherry with gray cloth interior. It's 100% stock, but I just ordered a replacement muffler. The stock rear muffler looks like a 55 gallon drum hanging off the back of the truck. Fugly.
Anyway, I look forward to being a part of this forum!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,351 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Darn nice ride!!!!!

Hoping to see you on the forum in the future!

·
Registered
269 Posts
That's as clean as they come. I will say that mechanical inclination is required to keep this thing free of minor issues.

Regular oil changes (5000 with full synthetic at most) will keep the motor free of issues. I have 250,000 miles on mine and no internal work has been done whatsoever.

I'd estimate I've spent around $100 on sparkplugs/sensors etc over the course of 80,000 miles (this is only in reference to the motor). I'm not kidding when I say the straight six will outlast you.

The transmission is where some issues start. It is a 4l60e, so a feather foot is your best friend. This truck has some power. I can say with great confidence that I've redlined my truck several hundreds of times. And I've been through multiple transmissions. The engine doesn't mind the abuse.

Wheel bearings will come up in the future. Use AC Delco or precision wheel bearings. Nothing cheaper unless you want to do it every summer.

Other than that, if you have OCD like me, expect to be nickel and dimed to death on all the little things. These are non power train related issues that will pop up over time. The truck will run and drive like a dream, but there will be minor issues and they can stack up fast.

Loose suspension, emissions/ cat issues, loose plastic, mirrors, steering/ stabilitrack, airbag sensors, loose clips. The list goes on.

Most of these issues come up around the 170-200k mark. If you fix them, the cycle will repeat and the fixes will last another 150k, or the straight six dies. Whichever comes first.

My advice, keep the car clean, and sell around 160k for the best, bang for buck 37k of use.

After that point the truck falls into a lower bracket of resale value and you will lose money if you plan to fix everything that breaks.

The power train will last forever, so driving it until it literally breaks is an option. But I would take the advice from above.

·
Registered
269 Posts
But again, if you DONT have OCD like me. Then most of the post above is irrelevant. That truck will run and drive forever. Just a bunch of little issues that would bother me, however they might not bother you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But again, if you DONT have OCD like me. Then most of the post above is irrelevant. That truck will run and drive forever. Just a bunch of little issues that would bother me, however they might not bother you.
OCK,
Thank you for the beta! I am also inclined to practice my OCB especially when I have such a nice platform to work with.
Cheers my friend!

·
Premium Member
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,351 Posts
Like Ock said, 5,000 mile oil changes with a quality motor oil (most likely a 5W30) and a decent oil filter is the key to a long lived engine without problems from the Variable Valve Train actuator and solenoid. They need clean 5W30 oil to function properly.

Since it looks like you are in California, you likely will not have to worry about the transmission and power steering oil lines rusting out.

Reactions: Buickchevlover

·
Registered
27 Posts
That thing looks great. Obviously someone has taken really good care of it. I noticed a missing trim piece on the passenger door. Those can be bought off Amazon or eBay fairly cheap. Obviously those were a problem if you can readily buy them. Very nice looking truck for sure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That thing looks great. Obviously someone has taken really good care of it. I noticed a missing trim piece on the passenger door. Those can be bought off Amazon or eBay fairly cheap. Obviously those were a problem if you can readily buy them. Very nice looking truck for sure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
You are quite astute! I actually have four brand new ones included by the previous owner.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just purchased a 2008 Trailblazer in amazing condition. It has 123K miles and looks like new...really! Exterior is dark cherry with gray cloth interior. It's 100% stock, but I just ordered a replacement muffler. The stock rear muffler looks like a 55 gallon drum hanging off the back of the truck. Fugly.
Nice looking 08, I also have an 08 but I don't know why the front grill and rear bumpers are different. I guess they changed sometime during that year. Enjoy, this is my 2nd TB, once you learn everything about them it is easy to own.

·
Registered
2008chevy trailblazer_ls
12 Posts
Mine used to be nice at once upon a time…lol

·
Registered
06 Trailblazer LT
43 Posts
You are correct, I do have the LT model. Glad you are happy with your Trail Blazer. We do have the same rims, mine were corroded so off the truck and painted them Raptor part bed liner with the tires installed. The paint is great and holding up nicely.
View attachment 58656 View attachment 58658
I myself want to paint my rims, what kind of paint did you use? Did you sandblast them first?

·
Registered
2005 TB Ext 233,213mi. 4.2l V6
8 Posts
Welcome, sweet ride!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I myself want to paint my rims, what kind of paint did you use? Did you sandblast them first?
I used this Raptor 2 Part epoxy black bed liner paint. It has a texture so it is very forgiving of any flaws underneath...I just degreased the wheels and tires with commercial strength Simple Green and used an electric drill with multiple steel wire brush heads. I painted the whole rim with 3 coats so I ended up using 8 cans of Raptor so about $260 to all 4 wheels Amazon.com: U-Pol 4883 Raptor 2K Aerosol Truck Bedliner Protective Coating - Black, 4-Pack : Automotive I went ahead and wire brushed my frame and suspension component and rattle canned with a flat black...and took the time to paint my coils red (TroyBilt Red) and clear coated. Everything is holding up nice

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Hood
Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Locking hubs Saw
Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 37 Posts