Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i kinda want more thump in trunk, but i also don't want to waste space... but at the same time i want a tool chest and place to put offroad supplies tools, and things i use everyday.

i figured roughly what the demensions of the box would be and went from there. the subs would be most likely be either two 6 inch subs or 2 eight inch

i want to have four drawers, one with an extra set of cloths, another with an emergency kit, the third with tools, and the fourth would be the more tools and whatever else i have.

on the back side i want to have small open boxes for tow straps, and small cans of whatever is needed, and the hooks above would be for a set of jumper cables and rope

** the last one was a rough box i sketched quickly without scale and lost because i didn't save:(

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
343 Posts
Or eliminate the top drawer, extend the other 3 to the length of the box, mount 2 shallow mount 10's or 12's in the top? Don't forget to supply complementary ear plugs for your passengers in the back seat. :eek:

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
subs that face up don't sound good, from what i've heard, but i did think of that... but i'm up for suggestions... righ tnow its only in planning stages cause it'll be a while before i get to it considerign how many other things i'm already in the middle of doing... but by the time i'm ready to do it i want to know the exact box i'm gonna make

·
Registered
343 Posts
I used to have a Grand Cherokee with a 15" in the back that faced up. I thought it sounded alright.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm i was talking to another member who was saying that they sounded crappy whe faced up at least on our tb's

·
Registered
343 Posts
Maybe. I haven't played with them enough to really know what they can do. I just thought it was cool to have a 15. I have 2 underseat boxes with 10's for a 90's ext cab GM truck sitting in my parent's garage I need to get rid of, or find them a new home in the TB.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmmm... too many ideas... there is always the option of the in floor sub in the cargo area and making the whole thing a tool box...

·
Banned
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
888 Posts
How about a single deep drawer on one side, then 3 of the normal ones on the other side. Put the subs facing up.

subs facing up have always been a better solution.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,329 Posts
I probably didn't make myself clear when I said that subs sound crappy when faced up.... I wasn't saying that in general. As a matter of fact, most of the guys on here with the HUGE systems in the back have subs facing up. My setup sounded like a$$ when I had it facing up. You can get a setup that sounds good, depends on the sub/amp combo.

My bad for any confusion... the set up looks pretty sweet, though! :thumbsup:

If you keep the subs facing back like that, I'd make the bottom 2 drawers 1 double high drawer. It'd be good to have an extra high drawer for the taller stuff...

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
i acctaully had somethign like this in mind myself.. cept a little different.. but close to teh same.. looks good.. let us know how it turns out for ya..

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
I get the feeling you're trying to combine things that shouldn't really go together.

However... you may not want to make the box so high. You never know what other items you may need to carry. I'd think your best bet would be to make a shallow, sealed compartment in the back, behind the top drawer. That way you waste less space. With your drawing, you have a huge area for the subs, and you don't need all that room.

Just remember, if you face the sub up, get some good grilles to cover them, as you may load items on top of them.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well after hering your ideas i changed it again because sub on top make for optimal amounts of space.

JD- yeah i get what you mean about it being 2 things, but:
-i don't like how much room subs take up
-i once in a while like the effect of subs
-i don't need them on trailrides while listening to "mud on your tires"
-i need a good place to organize tools
-i live between 2 houses (split parents) and i'd like a place to keep the tools that i use frequently
-you never know when you're gonna need a change of cloths
-it will keep everything organized
-i tow around boats and jet skis so i need the center hatch for hitches balls and tie down straps

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
480 Posts
Wouldn't the subs rattle the tools when cranked up? Maybe we could have wrench hopping contests like lowriders have hopping contests. LOL!
Seriously though I like the concept of doing two things at once. Jay:rotfl:

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well for the tool drawers i was thinking of useing a soft foam bottom so that didn't happen, and the tool drawers would also have foam sides... there maybe a rattle but only tool on tool and i doubt that will be able to lift up from the kick of the sub. maybe a bump on the street will rattle them

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well thats because the chain isn't thick and heavy enough!!!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Sweet idea. I've been wanting to put a sub in the back but I don't want to take up much room as I usually have my tools, chainsaws and my toolbox full of replacement parts for my equipment. I have a 12" bazooka sub that fits under the cargo screen perfectly. However its not hooked up and is just collecting dust on my bedroom floor. I'll take some measurements tomorrow and see how tall it is. Then again that would be a pretty small amount of space for tools. What's that program you're using to make those drawings?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JD- yeah i was thinking something slightly larger cause you can never have a big enough chain...

yeah i think its a decent idea... overall it would have about the same amount of room as a normal craftsman toolbox of the same size, just not as many drawers, and you'd lose the top 4 inches to the subs. i use google sketchup its free and easy to use and so far i like it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts