Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

A few months back I bought a JL12w7 subwoofer and installed it in my old sub box which was designed for 2 12" subs I had before the approx size of the box was 36"(W) x 45"(L) x20"(H) but resonantly I've decided to get a smaller box as I wish to reinstall my 3rd row seating..

While I was at the audio store I was asking about buying just the original JL enclosure.. which they said can be done but it will be expensive... buy there is also another enclosure made for JL subs that is gray and red.. they told me... but the employee said he recommend getting a custom box as it would only run me $100 as opposed to the $200 for original JL enclosure.. but as I was making an appointment the get my truck looked at to make a box... that employee asked me why I just didn't get the original box it will cost more but will make it pound as good as it ever will.

So as you can see I'm getting mixed messages from them and no longer now what way is the best to go..

Also they told me buy putting the JL in a box not designed for it will damage the sub is this true?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,339 Posts
The gray and red box is the high output box - go to JL's site to see it.
I have the 10" H.O. box and think it's awesome - the 12" would probably be even better I'd imagine. That's probably what I'd do. They are quite big though - sizes on JL's site.

It would be cheaper to build a box to JL's spec's (in the manual or their site).
The sealed box would be the smallest. Even though I bought the HO box and it's ported, I'd go with the sealed as a 2nd choice unless you're into the rap thing - then have the ported built.

And this is just my opinion. If there was only one way, there'd be one thin book on what and how!
I think that with a 12W7, you'll be happy with any well constructed box built to specs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts