Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite time of year...

Well recently had some noise coming from the fan clutch / water pump area and took it to a dealership to get their opinion and they state it is the water pump that needs replaced. However, I just replaced both about 2 years ago so I thought it was odd.

Anyway, here is there recommended list:

I can handle the water pump, but not sure about the CV boots, or the pinion seal.

I just did the sway bar links a year ago with other suspension parts so not too happy they are saying one is broken and the other MISSING?! How did I not notice that while driving it?

I'm shopping on RockAuto for all the parts and going to replace the drive belt. How do I know if I have 130A or 150A alternator? Engine size? I've got the 4.2 6cyl.

Below is my RockAuto shopping cart, please let me know your thoughts, opinions:

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
I'm shopping on RockAuto for all the parts and going to replace the drive belt. How do I know if I have 130A or 150A alternator? Engine size? I've got the 4.2 6cyl.
Your truck uses the 92 1/8" belt. The EXT trucks use the shorter belt.

All I can say is darn, I'm not sure what their version of a "full" tune up includes but for $400 that better include 6 new coils.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
1,852 Posts
Just so you know, if you buy the GM water pump (I think it also comes with the AC/Delco pump) and have the dealer install it, you get a lifetime warranty for part and labor. I wouldn't expext a $40 water pump to last very long anyway. I haven't done CV boots on one of these trucks, but I know one clamp on the full size trucks needs a special tool to clamp it down. If you want to do those yourself, just buy 2 complete reman axles (should run around $100 each). If you don't know anything about how differentials are setup, don't mess with the pinion seal because if you put the flange nut back on too tight it will mess up the preload.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your truck uses the 92 1/8" belt. The EXT trucks use the shorter belt.

All I can say is darn, I'm not sure what their version of a "full" tune up includes but for $400 that better include 6 new coils.:laugh:
Thanks. I'm not sure what's including in that either, but I know I don't want to pay it. But that last plug sure is a b*tch!

Just so you know, if you buy the GM water pump (I think it also comes with the AC/Delco pump) and have the dealer install it, you get a lifetime warranty for part and labor. I wouldn't expext a $40 water pump to last very long anyway. I haven't done CV boots on one of these trucks, but I know one clamp on the full size trucks needs a special tool to clamp it down. If you want to do those yourself, just buy 2 complete reman axles (should run around $100 each). If you don't know anything about how differentials are setup, don't mess with the pinion seal because if you put the flange nut back on too tight it will mess up the preload.
$600 for the water pump?! I'd rather pay 50 for one and do it myself and cross my fingers. Thanks for the heads up though. Do you think I picked out the right pinion they were referring to? I thought the only "pinion" was the rack and pinion until now.

I also have access to a full service bay with some technical help and Hayes manual for torque specs so I'm willing to give anything a try. Plus if I really damage something trying, it gives me self-justification to get a new vehicle.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
4 Posts
You can do the water pump, endlinks, and plugs yourself, not to mention the serpentine belt. If you have a lot of miles, replacing both o2's isn't a bad idea either. If you don't mind the mess, drop the tranny pan and change your fluid and filter.

Replacing spark plugs on a 4.2 envoy is a piece of cake. The rear plug isn't hard, you just need a few different length extensions. I suggest leaving the coil off cylinder number 5 and you'll have more room. I left the coil off number 4 as well. Attach one extensions to the spark plug socket and begin to lower it into the spark plug hole, but don't let go of it. Once its down far enough, put the next one on and then seat the socket onto the plug. Then attach the ratchet. Use the rachet to loosen the plug. If the spark plug will stay in your socket continue to remove it. My socket is worn and the spark plug will fall out of it so I just attached a piece of 3/8 rubber hose to the spark plug. Twist the hose and remove the plug. I installed the plug using the hose as well. The last plug is really not too hard if you have the correct tools on hand.

Replacing the plugs on my previous 2002 Grand prix required removing the upper motor mount bolts, putting the car in gear and pulling the engine forward just to get room to the last plug on the driveside rear of the engine. Replacing the wires was just as fun.

Also I suggest getting rebuilt axles instead of trying to replace the cv boot. Chances are if the boot is ripped, the cv joint is on its way out. Labor to replace the boot is just as expensive as replacing the whole axle.

Good luck

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought the whole cart listed. The water pump definitely needs done ASAP. When I lift it to do the links I'll check out the CV boots to see how bad they are and decide what to do. But I'll probably go with the advice and do the whole axles if anything.

Thanks for the replies, I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
912 Posts
Also for the spark plugs, I recommend having a universal joint in order to reach the last plug, it makes the job a heck of a lot easier.

·
Registered
2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer LT EXT
454 Posts
After the sway bar links are installed be sure to torque them down correctly. I have read many posts stating that the nuts tend to come undone.
When I did mine I could not believe that could happen. After 3 months I looked at my LF and the lower nut was gone and the link was waving in the wind.
I found another nut and tightened it down only to find it had backed off after one week (non-lock type nut) So now I have two nuts cranked down tight until I replace the link.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
18 Posts
Pinion Seals?

Both my front and rear pinion seals are leaking. The haynes manual gives a procedure that you have to reset the flange nut with the same number of exposed threads and the same running torque on the pinion. Has anyone done this, preferably with pics. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both my front and rear pinion seals are leaking. The haynes manual gives a procedure that you have to reset the flange nut with the same number of exposed threads and the same running torque on the pinion. Has anyone done this, preferably with pics. thanks in advance.
You might want to open a new thread on that or search more. Probably get a better response.

On another note, if anyone wants the differential pinion seal or CV joint boot in the cart above for the cost of shipping only, hit me up. I passed my 30 day return time and decided not to mess with this anymore.

Think I'm going to buy the wife an Equinox for Xmas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts