Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my wife was driving my truck on Sunday from Iowa to Colorado, after 2 hours the battery light came on, she made it home then shut the truck off. I turned it back over later that night and the light is gone, I took it to GMC to see what the issue was and the altenator is on the low side on putting out juice. Now today I went to get gas, I was at 1/4 of a tank. After I filled it up the gas guage said low fuel then started climbing up, then it would go all the way down again. Finally when I got to work the gas gauge was ok. Now can the since the altenator is going bad can this affect all the electrical sysetms in the truck? like the fuel issue I had today?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
What was your voltmeter reading during all this? Even if the battery was running the vehicle by itself, the fuel gauge should be OK.

But the ignition switch can cause flakiness like this. Is it in warranty, and is the dealer replacing the alternator for you?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are replacing the alternator for me and then on my way home the fuel gauge went down to empty from full again, then the engine light came on, the dealership says this can be due all to the alternator going bad, can this be true? the engine light will not shut off now. It is under warranty, it only has 25k miles on it and it is a 2007. All the manual gauges were working fine, will it be ok to just drive it to the dealer that is 17 miles away?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The voltmeter read what during all this drama? This is AFTER they replaced the alternator?

Anyway, it's safe to drive, I'm certain. Let us know what the dealer fixed after it's all over, and we can figure out if they're competent or goofballs like some dealers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the battery gauge reads anywhere from 12-14 volts all the time while this is going on. The alternator was ordered and on its way to the dealership, but can the alternator be the cause of all this? It might be drama but this is my daily driver and I take my kids to school in this truck, now I have to drive my 98 cobra tell this gets fixed.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Fascinating. When I said drama I wasn't being sarcastic. When the SES light comes on it SHOULD get your full attention. :yes:

There will be stored codes that tell the dealer what's going on, if it's something other than the alternator. I don't see a connection, but if they change the alternator, and it doesn't get better, then the ignition switch would be my next bet.

Or bad grounds on the fender side where they connect from the engine and battery.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This dealer said why the fuel gauge goes from full to empty and the back to full could be the cause of the alt. but I did not see a connection there, but I am no mechanic that is for sure, that is why I asked these question on the web site because I know I will get a more sense able answer then what they are telling me, sorry for the drama but I do not like these issues, and I am not use to these issues, so it just makes me a bit nervous to drive the suv. I hope to take it in on Friday and I will post up what they tell me.

·
Banned
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,253 Posts
Take it to your local auto parts store and have them read the codes for you. Most of them will do it for free, and provide you with a print out of the codes and definitions. I am sure you will be able to get more help here if you have the codes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took it to the dealership today since it is still under warranty, they said the new altenator should be in tomorrow and should have the suv fixed by tomorrow. I will let you know what they say, also I will tell them to check the fuel sending unit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.