Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I’m an audio “newb”, and am not really interested in becoming anything more unless I have too! Please don’t be offended, I’m just not an audio geek. I like what I like and I don’t like what I don’t, and rely on “expert” advice to get me to an acceptable result. Just like my clients rely on me to resurrect there computer when it rolls over and dies. With that said . . .

After some hours of research, listening, questions, recommendations, and the like I had an aftermarket head (Pioneer DEH-P510UB), front speakers (Boston SL60), Sub (Boston G1124), and amp (Alpine MRP-F450) installed in my 2008 Trailblazer last weekend. It sounds great, but I lost a bit of functionality that I had with the original equipment (No HU power with the ignition in ACC or OFF position, No HU dimming, No door chimes). The Trailblazer came with the basic HU (No Onstar, No Bose).

From what research I have been able to do, while at work, I believe my installer may have used the wrong wiring harness. This is where I need your help in order to calibrate my “BullS**t ‘ O ‘ Meter . . .

My installer used a Metra 70-2003 harness, but my research seems to show that they should have used a different harness or a different harness in conjunction with a data bus harness. Not really sure on this point. :confused: Also, I am not sure if they wired the 12v red wire to the ignition. This may indeed be the crux of the problem. By the way, how hard is it to make this connection?

My main focus is to be able to play the unit without burning gas.

Thanks for a great site :thx

Any comments, questions, suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
It is not that the Metra is the wrong harness so much as there have been a LOT of people on the site that have had problems using that adapter. Some have been faulty harnesses. Try using a gmos-01 and it should solve your problems as far as the door chimes. Now, as far as the accessory wire, is sounds to me like either he didnt hook up the ignition switch or he hooked it up wrong. You can do most of these fixes yourself, but I would recommend you have them do it just incase there is any kind of warranty associated with the install.

Forgot to tell you, the dimming function is a setting on the HU and some people have said even at minimum it is still to bright. That is the only bad thing I have heard about that HU.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
497 Posts
Do not take it to another shop and mail them the bill. That's a great way to waste some extra money and never get reimbursed.

If an installer doesn't do a good job, you have to give them reasonable opportunity to fix it!

GMRC-01 is the way to go, imo.

It sounds like they used the $10 cheap-o harness, and you lost the RAP/chime functions because nothing is listing to the bus.

I guarantee they connected the red ACC wire, because the head unit wouldn't work without it!

A new harness will fix your issue.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,554 Posts
Do not take it to another shop and mail them the bill. That's a great way to waste some extra money and never get reimbursed.

If an installer doesn't do a good job, you have to give them reasonable opportunity to fix it!

GMRC-01 is the way to go, imo.

It sounds like they used the $10 cheap-o harness, and you lost the RAP/chime functions because nothing is listing to the bus.

I guarantee they connected the red ACC wire, because the head unit wouldn't work without it!

A new harness will fix your issue.
if they wont fix it, and you dont wanna do it, then take it somewhere else. i did this twice. worked once, the other time it didn't. so i just give bad reviews for "abc" shop. someone asks were to take their stuff i mention the bad experience at "abc" or their on some forum i write a bad review ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.