Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. Fitting my lower control arms back on the support bracket after pressing in new Prothane poly bushings. The width of the flanges on these poly bushings are a hair too wide and the lower control arm won’t slip nicely back into the bracket like it did with stock bushings.

Any tips or tricks you seasoned guys could share to get those LCA’s to slip over these poly bushings? Has anyone else had this issue?

Tried setting it on a jack to line it up and used a large dead blow to see if I could knock it on there and it’s a no-go there. Feel like I shouldn’t be stumped on this but I am.

Here are a couple pics to show what I’m talking about:

Hood Automotive tire Fluid Liquid Material property

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Trunk Automotive exterior

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4.2L
524 Posts
When I did the front end rebuild on my 2002, I assembled the lower control arms and brackets off the vehicle first to make sure they lined up properly before reinstalling them. I left the bolts intentionally looses to facilitate installation. Once that was done, things slipped into place no problem and I was able to get everything lined back up. I didn't use the bushings like you have, but it might be worth it to take that stuff out and try assembling it off vehicle to see if there may be something shifting or binding. I wish I could be more helpful with this.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I did the front end rebuild on my 2002, I assembled the lower control arms and brackets off the vehicle first to make sure they lined up properly before reinstalling them. I left the bolts intentionally looses to facilitate installation. Once that was done, things slipped into place no problem and I was able to get everything lined back up. I didn't use the bushings like you have, but it might be worth it to take that stuff out and try assembling it off vehicle to see if there may be something shifting or binding. I wish I could be more helpful with this.
That’s a good idea. I will try that. I wish I knew it was going to be like that before I greased and pressed them in. Would have put one of the bushings in my lathe and take a few off to get a smooth but snug fit. Now that they’re pressed in with that gnarly super grease they sell, definitely got to find another route.

Weird part is I would have thought Prothane would have tested these first to make sure fitment isn’t an issue (or least a heads up in the instructions )

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Taking the support bracket back off worked. Not sure why I didn’t think about that. My mind was locked on putting it on the truck first then attaching the LCA.

Once I got it back off the truck was able to get it in a better position to give it some “encouragement” with a dead blow and a maul.

Thank you for the help and getting my brain unstuck!

· Premium Member
2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4.2L
524 Posts
Taking the support bracket back off worked. Not sure why I didn’t think about that. My mind was locked on putting it on the truck first then attaching the LCA.

Once I got it back off the truck was able to get it in a better position to give it some “encouragement” with a dead blow and a maul.

Thank you for the help and getting my brain unstuck!

Happy to help. I'm glad it worked out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts