Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Chevy trailblazer 4WD w/75K miles and I need to have the transfer case oil changed - is it a do it yourself project and if so does anyone know how to do it and are there any special tools required? I am pretty handy around engines and do most of my own maintenace, oil changes, brakes, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Easy. Run a search for threads with pictures. Having a pump makes putting the new fluid in much easier. And always take off the fill plug first; in case you can't get it off you can stop with no harm done. Drain it first, then have problems with the fill plug, you'll be hating life.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Like Bill said, remove the fill plug first....I've heard of several owners who couldn't get the blasted plug out after draining either the transfer case or rear axle.

If you need the fluid, Royal Purple's Synchro-Max fluid meets Auto-Trac/II requirements. - We have an alternative to the sometimes hard to locate GM fluid.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
129 Posts
The Roadie is right on with his advice. I would add to have a BIG drain pan, not for the volume, but to catch the fluid. It is oil, but it is thin and comes out remarkably quickly. It does not fall straight down at first, but comes out in a nice arc and may miss a small drain pan (don't ask how I know.)

ct_mike

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks to all who responded so quickly!! This is for sure something that I can do. This website is great - I also already used it to look up a couple of other things I need to get done and that I will be able to do myself and save some money! :thx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts