Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Wizards of Trailvoy.com,
My 2002 GMC Envoy has been lovingly maintained for just over 173,000 miles. Though wearing a few dents and scrapes, my beloved Envoy has always ran very well, and has been kept up to date with new parts and maintenance. To my shock and chagrin, the vehicle sustained a small engine fire last week. We heard a high pitched whistling and lost acceleration. I pulled over, turned off the engine, smelt/saw smoke, peaked under the hood and saw a small fire. We smothered the fire with towels. There wasn't any oil residue that could have started this fire, the engine was very clean. I am told that my main wire harness is what burnt, and that there may have been computer damage due to it. In addition to the wire harness burning, the steering fluid pump got a bit scorched, as did the oil dipstick handle, and "the pipe that comes out of the air conditioning, and runs across the engine, behind the oil reservoir". This level of fixing is outside of my wheelhouse. I am interested in your opinions on what could be next for this vehicle. Are there any interested parties that would purchase the vehicle for the parts it has to offer? After a problem of this nature, is there hope of repair? Unfortunately, I don't have much money to invest in it's intense recovery. What would you do? With Much Gratitude, The driver of Jimbo the SilverPot Shadowfax. We went everywhere.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the advice. I agree with y'all. We just hauled the truck from where it was temporarily sitting, in order to take it to my in-law's farm where we can investigate it further. My father-in-law suspects that it was the power steering compromising, getting hot, and then setting the wires on fire. The truck still cranks up and drives!!!! We drove it onto the trailer! So, seems like we are gunna have a long slow process of seeing what can be done to it. They are really good at fixing things. The ol' beast ain't given up the ghost yet.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me update y'all:..we left off with Jimbo the SilverPot Shadowfax (2002 GMC Envoy purchased in 2001) driving onto the trailer to go to my in-laws for intense recovery. My father-in-law rewired all the areas that had been burnt, replaced a sensor that had melted, and tightened all the bolts on the exhaust manifold. We think that excess fumes escaping from the exhaust manifold generated the fire. It has since driven very well and gone on many long trips. We are now at 187,536+ miles. A recurring metallic grinding noise had us checking out the front passenger tire etc., Where we found that the CV joint was busted open and grinding into the front wheel transmission. For now, we are converting this illustrious vehicle into a rear wheel drive vehicle. For a while now, the All wheel drive switch hasn't worked, so I've been without it anyways. The air conditioning recently stopped blowing air to the top vents but blows air through the foot vents. Freon lasts about a month since there is some small leak. Please feel free to share any advice regarding these fixins. Also, anyone whom says, 'just buy a new one' is missing the point, wasting their breath, and thanks but no thanks or can send us money via https://www.paypal.me/hothotbigtimepress. This thread is about making the most out of a legendary classic. With Much Gratitude, Crystal.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sincerely, No disrespect to any posters whom do suggest it is the end of an era, but my love for this vehicle has me less interested in practicality and more interested in attempting complex repairs.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dear Wizards of TrailVoy, Mr. Shadowfax the 2002 Envoy is driving well as a rear wheel drive vehicle. My father-in-law also troubleshooted deep into the air conditioning system, though the cause of the HVAC intermittent ability to blow air out the top vents illudes us. The computer screen that displays the air conditioning modes and temperature is always displaying the wrong external temperature. We wonder if this is a clue to why the a.c. isn't working consistently. Any advice in this regard is most appreciated. We are now at 187,880+ miles. With Much Gratitude, Crystal

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,469 Posts
The HVAC (heating and cooling system) does use the exterior temperature to control the interior temperature. The exterior temperature sensor is located on the radiator support about the center point.

Glad you were able to revive the old girl!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts