Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to swap out the top washer on the strut. Is it ok to loosen it while it's on the vehicle? Is the spring load being held down beneath this washer?

Attachments

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If Roadie sees this...is this the washer you had mentioned grinding down some so that it doesn't rub the housing around it and squeak?

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
293 Posts
Should be fine the spring is compressed in the truck.
One thing to watch is if you start to lose threads, then you wouldnt be able to get it back together.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The spring force is being held by the vehicle, but I just wouldn't feel confident getting countertorque using the hex recess in the shock shaft. But you could always start off with penetrating oil, then try loosening the nut the next day one turn. If it starts to loosen, and not jam up with corrosion, then continue.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
3,118 Posts
If Roadie sees this...is this the washer you had mentioned grinding down some so that it doesn't rub the housing around it and squeak?
Are you sure that is the washer that is giveing you
nightmares???

Tell us more Grasshopper...

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
293 Posts
From the looks of the picture he doesnt have the rust build up that I had, when I took my shocks out I wire wheeled the shock shaft to clean it off as best as possible.....Boy they were pitted and corroded.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The issue is that horrible squeak I've referred to many times on here. That washer rubs up against the "well" it's in and causes a loud squeak whenever I go over potholes/bumps. It hasn't really started making tons of racquet yet but I can tell it's rubbing already. So when it does start to squeak I just wanted to know if it's ok to remove it on the vehicle instead of having to take everything apart again. Figured I'd remove it and grind it to a smaller circumference.
I just last weekend replaced the mounts and struts so there no corrosion issues whatsoever.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
stupid question but does anyone think the reason that washer is further to one side than the other could have to do with needing an alignment? Mine's desperate for an alignment right now something fierce.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,329 Posts
The issue is that horrible squeak I've referred to many times on here. That washer rubs up against the "well" it's in and causes a loud squeak whenever I go over potholes/bumps. It hasn't really started making tons of racquet yet but I can tell it's rubbing already. So when it does start to squeak I just wanted to know if it's ok to remove it on the vehicle instead of having to take everything apart again. Figured I'd remove it and grind it to a smaller circumference.
I just last weekend replaced the mounts and struts so there no corrosion issues whatsoever.

any thoughts?
Isn't that the issue with retaining the jounce washers when installing the SMaxx kit? I didn't think it was possible to replace the jounce washer with the assembly in place. I thought you had to remove the strut assembly and compress the spring in order to get the jounce washer off. I could be mistaken...

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
There are two washers involved. The jounce washer is inside the stack, and rubs up and down inside the center tube of the SMAXX spacer. That definitely needs to have a reduced diameter.

This one is on top of the stack, under the final assembly nut, and is inside the "well" that's part of the upper strut perch. It only moves if the rubber isolator allows it to, a tiny bit, but there isn't a lot of clearance and SMAXX could have specified a reduced diameter on this one also if they had noticed a problem when they were testing their prototypes.

When I had SMAXX spacers at first in pre-BDS days, I didn't have this issue, but I can see that you can put the strut in using its threaded studs with a few thousandths of adjustability, so you might be able to tweak away the noise.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
48 Posts
I'd bet the squeek is coming from lower control arm bushings, unless you know for certain it is coming from strut assembly. That's where my noise was coming from.

Thanks

Carp

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
24 Posts
Yeah ive been having this same squeek like a bird chirping that you all are referring to and trying to figure out where it is coming from as well. I wonder if it is coming from the lower control arm bushing like afor mentioned??? How to tell?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
I had a squeak coming the the passenger side when someone would get in or out and when hitting a bump and it turned out to be the upper ball joint.:m2:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hit the thing you're curious about with WD-40. See if the squeak temporarily goes away.
I know this comment isn't completely directed towards me but, that's exactly what I did after I installed the Smaxx kit last summer. And this top washer was the culprit. After replacing the oem struts with the Bilstein HD's I could see significant wear on the well and top washer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts