Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice. I have a 2004 GMC Envoy XUV with the 5.3L. I've had it since 2009 and I've put 220k miles on it. It been an incredible truck with few problems until now. Everything seems to be breaking at once. It needs brakes and suspension work all the way around. The power steering pump is going out. The Oil pump is going out and there's a knock in the cylinder heads. The transmission is slipping and the 4 wheel drive doesn't work anymore.

I can do a lot of the work myself but from what I've read the oil pump requires the engine to be lifted a bit in order to remove the oil pan. Estimates I've got for that is about $1,500. The labor manual says that's a 16 hour job. I can order reman heads for about $600 and replace those myself. Transmission is about $1,700. Just in parts I'm looking at roughly $4,000 and no telling how much labor would be for the things I can't fix myself.

A very rough estimate would be about $7,000 to fix just about everything. Not fixing the 4WD since it's never been used. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
573 Posts
yeah, its time to let it go.
even if you buy a used engine and trans. you still have the suspension, power steering to fix.

too many failures, engine, trans, suspension, power steering, not to mention the 4wd.and the brakes.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
5 Posts
Looking for advice. I have a 2004 GMC Envoy XUV with the 5.3L. I've had it since 2009 and I've put 220k miles on it. It been an incredible truck with few problems until now. Everything seems to be breaking at once. It needs brakes and suspension work all the way around. The power steering pump is going out. The Oil pump is going out and there's a knock in the cylinder heads. The transmission is slipping and the 4 wheel drive doesn't work anymore.

I can do a lot of the work myself but from what I've read the oil pump requires the engine to be lifted a bit in order to remove the oil pan. Estimates I've got for that is about $1,500. The labor manual says that's a 16 hour job. I can order reman heads for about $600 and replace those myself. Transmission is about $1,700. Just in parts I'm looking at roughly $4,000 and no telling how much labor would be for the things I can't fix myself.

A very rough estimate would be about $7,000 to fix just about everything. Not fixing the 4WD since it's never been used. What are your thoughts?
I think it's time to let it go, but it's yours and depends on how much you like and wanna keep it. Even if its your only vehicle $4000 is a nice down payment or maybe even find another one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my first XUV a few years ago, a 2004 4.2 and 4x4. I immediately fell in love with it, such a rare and unique animal. It now has 178k on it with no serious problems, just the usual quirks with the Midgate and the semi complicated rear tailgate/ door electrical gremlins. I am so pleased with this vehicle that I began acquiring spare “parts” vehicles so I can keep my original one and a second good running one alive for as long as I can. I’m an old school mechanical guy, I can fix almost anything and the 2004 model year is at the cutoff for me. NO TPMS, NO canbus electronics, NO touch screen, NO collision sensors.. etc.. I grew up in the Tahoe basin with “real” four wheel drive vehicles, manual locking hubs, an actual 4WD lever sticking up from the floor, and a iron transfer case with gears instead of a beer can case and bicycle chain. I still have my original 1974 Jeep Cherokee, in-line 6 engine, 4 speed and a Dana 300 transfer case. It’s funny to me that the “AMC 258-6 engine in my Jeep is also the same displacement as the Envoy, 4.2L lol. I have enough engines, trannies, transfer cases and electronic parts to keep my growing “fleet” of XUV’s running for many more decades I hope. The XUV is getting rare out there, when I actually see one in a parking lot, I leave my card on the windshield in case the owner is ready to sell..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts