Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '02 Trailblazer w/ 206k miles, that has been having the issue of not going into overdrive. The 1-2 shift seems fine but the revs seem kind of high when it does make the shift as well as going into 3rd. Once in 3rd it will rev pretty high and will slip when it tries to shift and even stays what seems like to be out of gear. Only letting off the throttle and letting the rpm come back down will allow it to go back into gear. I have recently replace the trans filter and fluid as well as the 2-3rd tcc shift solenoid which did seem to help some of the shifting a bit. Im pretty mechanically inclined but have no clue about auto transmissions. At this point I have no idea what to check next, any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Dear ordep81 (read: Mr Zombie) -----

Your transmission is toast.

Rebuild or replace it with a rebuilt --- NOT A JUNKYARD ONE!

Junkyard units are for rebuilding cores ONLY.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a '02 Trailblazer w/ 206k miles, that has been having the issue of not going into overdrive. The 1-2 shift seems fine but the revs seem kind of high when it does make the shift as well as going into 3rd. Once in 3rd it will rev pretty high and will slip when it tries to shift and even stays what seems like to be out of gear. Only letting off the throttle and letting the rpm come back down will allow it to go back into gear. I have recently replace the trans filter and fluid as well as the 2-3rd tcc shift solenoid which did seem to help some of the shifting a bit. Im pretty mechanically inclined but have no clue about auto transmissions. At this point I have no idea what to check next, any help would be appreciated.
Replace the pressure switch manifold.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
3rd gear slip is almost always a sign that the direct clutch pack is done for - I don't believe the pillow pad is a problem here - but sure --- change it if you want to. I'd be very happy for you if that works.

FROM Gil Younger (my transmission guru);

"Problem: Will not work in 3rd or 4th gear​
Symptoms: “3-4” clutches are worn out. The car is safe to drive (in 2nd) until you can get it fixed.​
Possible repair: Remove & replace or rebuild"​

·
Registered
4 Posts
3rd gear slip is almost always a sign that the direct clutch pack is done for - I don't believe the pillow pad is a problem here - but sure --- change it if you want to. I'd be very happy for you if that works.

FROM Gil Younger (my transmission guru);

"Problem: Will not work in 3rd or 4th gear​
Symptoms: “3-4” clutches are worn out. The car is safe to drive (in 2nd) until you can get it fixed.​
Possible repair: Remove & replace or rebuild"​
I had this happen to a 1 year old rebuilt transmission that was just out of warranty. Replacing the pressure switch manifold along with all of the solenoids fixed the problem for me. Now the shop that rebuilt the tranny should have replaced this part or at least cleaned it, but it definitely solved the problem for me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
2nd gear works great for pretty much forever if you stay under 40 (Don't ask me how I know). But you'll end up spending the cost of a rebuild in a couple years with the MPG being TRASH.

I got mine removed rebuilt and reinstalled by a local guy for 1000 even. 80k strong with a lead foot driver. Find a good guy to rebuild, and change the fluid and filter every 50k AFTER the rebuild... Or don't change it at all.

Or... Buy an upgraded performance transmission from a site like monster, or a standard 4l60e from AutoZone with a decent 3 year warranty. I plan on saving my tranny when my engine finally dies (236k) then you can have a backup for the next car if you stick with the same platform.

Also whatever route you go, add an auxiliary cooler to prevent an exceptionally hot day and therefore hot engine from superheating your transmission fluid. Ravalli has a great post on how to properly route the hoses for a cooler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts