Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...

I am still a bit of a newbie when it comes to certain things here.

I am looking for a floor jack and am wondering if a 2 1/2 ton will be safe enough to lift one tire off the ground at a time.

Can anyone advise if this is safe?
I will also be using 3 ton stands under the wheel.

This is for my winter changeover as i have just bought a compressor...and would like to change my wheels on my own..

Thanks!!!
Frank

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ls
105 Posts
I just rotated with old tire's my little red 2 1/2 ton, used it a few time now. Barely gets me off the ground before I max out in height. So I salvaged some solid 4x4's to make a platform for the jack.

4-way lug wrench all the way around, just don't have a compressor or impact tools.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info GUYS!

This site is very helpful.

I have one more question..!!

What are we supposed to torque our 20" SS rims to lbs?

THanks again...
Frank

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
2.5 tons = 5,000 lbs.

You could just about lift the whole truck.

The wheel nut torque is listed in the owners manual. 100 ft.lbs. I believe.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
137 Posts
I have a 2 1/2 ton Sears floor jack and I can damn near flip the truck over! j/k

That is what I use when rotating the tires or lifting it for oil changes, etc. Plenty of lift. Before I bought this jack I used to use a little 1 ton and that worked ok, a bit of a strain on it, but it never failed me. Of course, I always use jack stands and never rely on a jack to support and hold the truck up by itself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all...

I am still a bit of a newbie when it comes to certain things here.

I am looking for a floor jack and am wondering if a 2 1/2 ton will be safe enough to lift one tire off the ground at a time.

Can anyone advise if this is safe?
I will also be using 3 ton stands under the wheel.

This is for my winter changeover as i have just bought a compressor...and would like to change my wheels on my own..

Thanks!!!
Frank
I keep a 1.5 ton in the Trailblazer for emergencies/flats(works very well)
But at home I use a 4ton Jack and stands. That may seem like over kill but it adds a new level of stability, ease, safety, and speed. If you regularly work on your own Truck/SUV go with the 4 ton. You'll thank me later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts