Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my used 2006 SS AWD 2 weeks ago and drove it 500 miles in one trip back from Pennsylvania. Great ride for sure! But...

I keep hearing an intermittent and random squeaking sound. I know it is not the suspension or linkages of any kind because it happens on completely smooth, flat roads.
I have tried to force the squeak sound by accelerating, braking, but that does not work.
It seems to happen only when I am driving at steady state above 2000 rpms and sound like it is coming from the rear drive shaft somewhere, possibly at the connection to the transmission. It sounds like it is directly underneath the shifter.

Any thoughts or similar experiences would be appreciated :)

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
You didn't share the mileage, but whenever you buy something used without getting the service records and reviewing them, EVERY fluid should be inspected and changed. You've got two differentials and a transfer case plus the tranny, and the transfer case just aft of the tranny and would be my suspect. Or the driveshaft needs to be removed and the front end (the slip yoke) could be greased, although that's not so big a suspect on flat roads.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is more info...

Sorry for the missing info. Currently at just under 63,000 miles. I verified from the last owner that diffs and transfer case fluids have NOT been changed. I did this service on my '02 TB, so I am familiar with the process and will be doing this ASAP.

The owner did have very good records of service and 'full service' inspections were performed at roughly 6 month intervals with a Chevy dealership. I don't know if this included drivetrain fluid checks or not.

No leaks or evidence of such around the components of the drivetrain that I have noticed so far.

I did manage to check the front diff fluid level and condition last weekend; appeared to be okay for being original fluid. That's as far as I got.

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts