Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my wife has a 2004 envoy xl that is having some gauge issues. 2 days ago the cluster would just stop working and all the lights come on. the speedo and tach still work.then come back on with the security light and unknown driver. (Radio,ac compressor and power windows also stopped working when this occurs). It doesn't stay off for long and the suv runs fine. Now this isn't the original cluster it was changed about 3 years ago for this one. The original cluster did not have the dic where this one does. Could this cluster be going or am I looking at something else causing the issue? The vehicle does have a green emergency lightbar and t3 strobes and siren installed. but the electrical is stand alone and not wired into the vehicles electrical block.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,415 Posts
Since you have additional things going on (radio & windows), I would suspect the ignition switch first. It is a know cause for weird electrical problems.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since you have additional things going on (radio & windows), I would suspect the ignition switch first. It is a know cause for weird electrical problems.
Well its not the ignition switch. Changed it this morning and its still doing it

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
456 Posts
the speedo and tach still work.then come back on with the security light and unknown driver. (Radio,ac compressor and power windows also stopped working when this occurs).

This sounds like maybe one of the power supplies to the BCM has a bad connection and power is dropping out to certain items affected. I would check all the fuses that supply the various BCM circuits, perhaps even disconnect, inspect, clean and reassemble the 4 connections at the BCM.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This sounds like maybe one of the power supplies to the BCM has a bad connection and power is dropping out to certain items affected. I would check all the fuses that supply the various BCM circuits, perhaps even disconnect, inspect, clean and reassemble the 4 connections at the BCM.
Could a added power wire (4gauge fused 80 amps) from the battery to an accessory fuse block cause issues. The lights have been wired up for about a month with no issue up until a couple days ago. Nothing is tied into the factory wiring.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
456 Posts
Nothing is tied into the factory wiring.
If this 4 gauge wire to accessory fuseblock is connected to the same battery as the vehicle,,, then any noise generated from that equipment will indeed be in the 'factory wiring'.

However,,, if none of that accessory stuff is switched on AND these added devices do not remain powered in some standby mode when not in use then it seems to me unlikely to be the cause of your issues.

If it is easily disconnected ( pull the accessory block fuses?) it might be worth testing to see if the trouble persists.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
13 Posts
Hello Ironhide, You have the exact same problem that I have on my envoy. I would guess that when this happens the controls on both front door panels don't work for windows, locks or seat heaters. The controls on the back door panels work fine. You most likely loose your radio too and if you ever look right when it dies there will be a flash on the radio display that says xm error. I have lived with mine for over 4 years. I wish I had seen your post sooner I would have saved you from replacing the ignition switch. This is most likely a ground issue and it is related to the headlights. This bad ground causes a computer melt down issue that causes all the glitches. It will be aggrevated by electrical load such as running the A/C, wipers, or high beams at night. 95% of the time it happens to me is at night time. Usually shutting the engine off and restarting will correct it. After years of trying to solve/fix this I have found the quick way to reset the computer; Shut the headlights off. Turn the light switch all the way to the left and everything will go back to normal but there is one warning light that stays on in my dash. I can tell you from over 35,000 miles of dealing with it, it won't strand you. Your lights and wiper will work. Your speedo and tach will work. I have had trouble keeping the windshield from fogging up with out the blower working. I have got very hot with no a/c and the windows not working in the front. The owner of the garage that I go to is an electrical expert. We have kicked around what this could be for years. After learning recently that shutting off the headlights resets the computer we both think it is one of the many grounds on the envoy. Probably the one for the headlights, but when it comes to bad grounds, it could be any of them. I have been on overload for the last 3 years and nothing I own has had work done to it unless it becomes undriveable. When time allows I will take all the grounds apart and clean them. I am also due for a new alternator and plan on doing this at the same time. For now I just turn the lights off and then back on and I keep on driving. It helps after the initial glitch to reduce the electrical load. Usually turning the blower down to low will work. The worse I have had to do was shut off the a/c. I have attached a diagram that shows all the grounds. If you find it is something else, be sure to let me know as this one is a hard one to solve. It is possible that the added equipment or dash replacement has been a contributor to the ground problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 buick rainier
23 Posts
Yes, similar going on with my '04 Rainier with 220K on it. I have the added complication of a cracked windshield and having this mess also almost always restart with leaving the vehicle out in a moderate to heavy rain. Not sure if the water collects somewhere near the firewall/windshield area, but also have found water maybe also through my sunroof collect in the cupholders on the center console and the electronics area where the sunroof controls are located.

I can confirm the headlights issue, there are times you can see the lights flicker, enhanced by bumps on the road.

My situation goes through three sets of symptoms:
The first: dashboard console becomes much like a pinball machine - bouncing every 30 seconds between "Driver 2" and "Unknown Driver," all with the chimes and various trouble lights, like when you put the key in before starting. This would stay like this for a day or two sometimes, especially, I think, until the water dries out or drains out of somewhere, then it can return to normal, OR it can move onto the second set of symptoms:
The second: dead dashboard; no gauges, no lights, no odometer. But the car runs fine. Didn't think to check the headlights or the radio. To resolve this issue, often I need to pull the positive battery terminal cable for awhile.
The third: dead car. To resolve this issue, I need to pull the positive battery terminal cable. I try to avoid this set of symptoms.

Anyways, I like the ground charts, thanks for those. Looks like lots of work there, though. I might start with replacing the windshield and the ignition switch, not too difficult or pricey given that the vehicle is paid for and runs great, and then go after the grounds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts