Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster, hoping to become a regular around here. I've got a 2006 Trailblazer ext 4x4 with the 5.3 V8 that has suddenly decided not to attempt to spin the starter when the key is moved to the start location. Battery charge and grounds are fine. With the hood open and the main fuse block cover removed I can hear a VERY faint click each time the key is advanced to start which makes me think the signal is being sent from the ignition switch in the cab and my problem lies under the hood. After about 6 hours of checking fuses/relays/grounds (along with the tried and true tap on the starter with a brass hammer) I'm still having no luck. The next morning I go out and give it another try and it starts right up.

Even though I know better than to take an intermittent electrical issue to the dealership, I did just that and they promptly tell me there is no problem they can detect. So now I'm stuck because the problem hasn't reoccurred, but I can't let my wife drive this around and leave her stranded when it does decide to happen again.

I've seen this is an issue from other threads, and to the best of my knowledge this is either the solenoid/starter, ignition switch, or the fuse block relay. Any suggestions on the best way to proceed? I hate throwing money at multiple parts just to see which sticks. Is there a good diagnosis workflow for isolating the issue?

Thanks in advance and hope to be able to contribute in the future.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
628 Posts
I had an intermittent no crank issue a couple of years ago. Not a guy to just replace things without confirming that it really needs the part, I began the diagnosis. Being intermittent is the greatest challenge. I can diagnosis it easy enough if it is happening while I have the place and tools to do the diagnosing.

At first it was once every few weeks, turn the key, nothing. I would turn the key to the start position and back maybe 30-40 times before it would crank, and then it was good for the next week.

I cleaned and tightened the battery connections and grounds.

I connected a test light that I kept inside my truck and was connected to the starter solenoid connection with the wire running outside and under my truck. With the possibility of a bad ignition switch, bad relay, or bad PCM I thought I'd go with the easiest to confirm first.

After a couple of days with no problems it happened when I came out of Home Depot. Turned the key, no crank, but the test light lit up so I knew that everything up to the starter was good. I replaced the starter and no more problems.

Be prepared for a couple of hours of work.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dash lights are lit on both the accessory 1 & 2 positions. Headlights will turn on and are plenty bright. The dash lights cut out when moved from accessory 2 to start position, but that's always the case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts