Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an '05 Trailblazer after owning an '04 for the last year and a half with no issues. Got the trailblazer home, and started going over it. The temp gauge was occasionally jumping a bit, so I changed out the Engine coolant temp sensor. The jumping stopped, but the gauge was reading a bit over 210, so it seemed the fan clutch was the culprit. Changed the fan clutch, and now the real fun begins. Only has happened on startup when the gauges recalibrate every start. When it would try to recalibrate on startup, seems it was having difficulty, so the gauges would not hit 0 and then the numbers were all off on just the 4 gauges...oil,temp,alt, and gas. Took the cluster out, someone has been in it already. Looked like to me it has been worked on or changed out, I don't know which. Seems all the stepper motors were changed, I could tell from the soldering. I have ordered a reman cluster from Doorman. Question is, is this going to be a constant every couple of years that this vehicle eats intsrument clusters....or will this swap out fix this issue that GM won't admit is an issue with these Chevy's? If it is going to keep manifesting every so often....'05 trailblazer for sale with 92,000 miles LOL. A speedometer repair shop told me that the instrument calibration on startup is comming from the cluster, not the ECM or computer in the car. Whats weird is that all 4 gauges act up only on some startups, it doesnt act up every time I start it, so thats making me think the computer board is bad, not the stepper motors. Also, they all act up at the same time, not individually. What I mean by acting up is oil pressure will read 80, temp goes over 260, fuel just moves a bit off where it was, and volts is about pinned also. Ive read that when the soldering goes bad, you get no readings, not what I am experiencing with incorrect readings. Thank you for any responses in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dirty grounds ???
Negative, that would make the gauges go to 0 not read crazy stuff. I just put in a remanufactured instrument cluster from Doorman. Lets see what happens now. I will post in a week or so to tell you guys how it came out.

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
185 Posts
Negative, that would make the gauges go to 0 not read crazy stuff. I just put in a remanufactured instrument cluster from Doorman. Lets see what happens now. I will post in a week or so to tell you guys how it came out.
Remember that ANY connection with a bit of corrosion can make the gauges do all sorts of goofy tricks . Sometimes nothing and sometimes just enough juice gets through to present a fake and other times it's like nothing bad is happening at all ..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remember that ANY connection with a bit of corrosion can make the gauges do all sorts of goofy tricks . Sometimes nothing and sometimes just enough juice gets through to present a fake and other times it's like nothing bad is happening at all ..
Thank you for the info. Ive been under the assumption that a bad connection would just flicker off and on. My main worry is that there is a car electrical issue that would make these clusters or gauges go bad regularly where for the life of this vehicle I am just going to chase electrical issues, or will this be a 1 time fix where now that I have a new cluster in the trailblazer I will not have to mess with it anymore?

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
185 Posts
From my experience , if the job is done right , with due attention to details and good quality parts , it should last a worthwhile length of time .
Sometimes the job turns out better than when it came from the factory . ;)

·
Registered
2005 isuzu ascender
316 Posts
Not sure on your issues but the stepper motors are crap. At least thru the 05...I think the part changed in late years. It's common to replace the stepper motors. I've done myself one by one as they fail. Up to 3 so far over the last 14 years...

Hard to describe but a good motor will rotate smooth when you move by hand. The "gone bad" ones have a "clicking" feel / bumpy when turning by hand. Because they are servo motors, I think the extra resistance makes them get out of alignment. I've seen them fix themselves for a short time but it never lasts.
(Have a bad oil pressure motor now but not worth changing it since it's a dummy gauge faked by the computer using rpms and there's a dedicated oil pressure light that will warn of the same anyway)

Good luck

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
16 Posts
Just bought an '05 Trailblazer after owning an '04 for the last year and a half with no issues. Got the trailblazer home, and started going over it. The temp gauge was occasionally jumping a bit, so I changed out the Engine coolant temp sensor. The jumping stopped, but the gauge was reading a bit over 210, so it seemed the fan clutch was the culprit. Changed the fan clutch, and now the real fun begins. Only has happened on startup when the gauges recalibrate every start. When it would try to recalibrate on startup, seems it was having difficulty, so the gauges would not hit 0 and then the numbers were all off on just the 4 gauges...oil,temp,alt, and gas. Took the cluster out, someone has been in it already. Looked like to me it has been worked on or changed out, I don't know which. Seems all the stepper motors were changed, I could tell from the soldering. I have ordered a reman cluster from Doorman. Question is, is this going to be a constant every couple of years that this vehicle eats intsrument clusters....or will this swap out fix this issue that GM won't admit is an issue with these Chevy's? If it is going to keep manifesting every so often....'05 trailblazer for sale with 92,000 miles LOL. A speedometer repair shop told me that the instrument calibration on startup is comming from the cluster, not the ECM or computer in the car. Whats weird is that all 4 gauges act up only on some startups, it doesnt act up every time I start it, so thats making me think the computer board is bad, not the stepper motors. Also, they all act up at the same time, not individually. What I mean by acting up is oil pressure will read 80, temp goes over 260, fuel just moves a bit off where it was, and volts is about pinned also. Ive read that when the soldering goes bad, you get no readings, not what I am experiencing with incorrect readings. Thank you for any responses in advance.
I had a new gauge cluster installed by a local repair shop and they stated that the cluster needs to be programmed by GM so that the correct mileage can be entered on the new cluster and the programming will make sure that the gauges read properly. The damn programming that was done by the shop with GM participating cost more than the new gauge cluster. I was lead to believe that gauge clusters can't just be swapped out and read properly and I have no evidence to prove or disprove it but the new cluster did have the correct mileage on it so there just might be something to the theory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ordered the new cluster from my local auto parts store. They had to have the mileage so they could order it. I had to sign a document stating the mileage was correct. It came with 3 less miles then I said. I had 92,700 on the origional one, and the new one came with 92,697. It was a plug and play, no programming needed from the stealership. Have had no issues so far. Still wanting to get rid of it and get another Envoy. When I drive my Envoy then drive the Trailblazer, makes me realize the huge difference in the two. The Envoy drives like a Cadillac compared to the Trailblazer. Both have Michelin tires and new struts. Seems the GMC is put together alot better then the Chevy. GMC has 122k and the Chevy is 93k

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
16 Posts
Ordered the new cluster from my local auto parts store. They had to have the mileage so they could order it. I had to sign a document stating the mileage was correct. It came with 3 less miles then I said. I had 92,700 on the origional one, and the new one came with 92,697. It was a plug and play, no programming needed from the stealership. Have had no issues so far. Still wanting to get rid of it and get another Envoy. When I drive my Envoy then drive the Trailblazer, makes me realize the huge difference in the two. The Envoy drives like a Cadillac compared to the Trailblazer. Both have Michelin tires and new struts. Seems the GMC is put together alot better then the Chevy. GMC has 122k and the Chevy is 93k
I apparently made the mistake of bring my 04 to a shop and was told that I need a new cluster and it had to be programmed by GM tec support. It solved the problem but the programming cost more than the damn cluster. Didn't have to sigh anything though that was several years ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts