Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

Finding 12 volts 100w, H1,H3,H7 bulbs and Ballasts on ebay; I also found 24V 100w Ballasts with 9005 bulbs, but not 100w, 12v ballasts with 9005 bulbs. I emailed ebay seller: "vol-sale" and they put a kit together for me with 12V 100w and 9005 bulbs, relays, powerharness, etc.

The 100w 9005 should yield around 9,000 lumens each at 6000 Kelvin. I am running fogs with high and low beam at the same time, using 35w (ap. 3,200 lumens) HID in the low beam. With the 55W (ap. 4,200 lumens) fogs, I should see:

(lumens)

Hi: 18,000
Lo: 6,400
Fogs: 8,400

for a total of 32,800 lumens. This should be bright!

Stock lights would be around 2,200 lumens...or 4,400 low with fogs...

If someone is interested in the setup, I strongly recommend projector headlights to protect other drivers, and a quick finger turning off the high beam when opposing traffic is present.

Pictures to come....

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
790 Posts
I smell melted headlight lenses in the future and tickets for your lights. 35w HID's are bright in non-projector housings. The 100w are going to be just plain rude. lol

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
:cool: Definitely looking forward to seeing some before and after pics with your setup. It also blows the mind that there's a place an SS will go that needs THAT much light from the high beams! :undecided

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,030 Posts
wow.

as a reference, outdoor billboard signs use 400w 120V Halophane vapor HIDs.

3.3 amps.

these HIDs, @ 100w @ 14 voltseach, are drawing 14 amps. :eek:

you are going to fry the ever loving hell out of your harnesses.

I dub these devices DEATH RAYS.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dang!! Thats gonna generate a whole lot of heat!
I smell melted headlight lenses in the future
I am not so sure. The efficiency metric for lamps is efficacy, which is defined as light output in lumens divided by energy input in watts. The balance and difference is output in another non-visual wavelength (IR, Ultra etc.) and of course heat.

The best 55w halogens give 1200 lumens (Silverstars) and 55W HID gives 4200 lumens, roughly. Same wattage, 3.5 times the light output. Significantly lower heat losses. I bet that the 100w HIDs will heat up less than the 55w Halogens (twice the power input, but around 8-9 times the light output). I have a Ratheon thermal imager so I will check the practical temp buildup on the reflectors and housings. Any takers on a wager?

and tickets for your lights. 35w HID's are bright in non-projector housings. The 100w are going to be just plain rude. lol
Now, this I cannot argue. You might be right. I have to be sensitive and careful to fellow motorists, and quick to turn them off...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
wow.

as a reference, outdoor billboard signs use 400w 120V Halophane vapor HIDs.

3.3 amps.

these HIDs, @ 100w @ 14 voltseach, are drawing 14 amps. :eek:

you are going to fry the ever loving hell out of your harnesses.
...not using stock harness per first post... Also, pulling around 14 volts, DC-DC tranformer, maybe 20% ineffective. 100w/14 volts = 7.1 Amps. Maybe 20% losses yields around 8.5 amps at 14 volts. The harnesses are designed for 30 amps each, so there should be plenty buffer...

I dub these devices DEATH RAYS.
Once again; Now I cannot argue...

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
Aside from heating up and blinding other people, it'd be nice lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:dielaugh: With that much light coming from his high beams, it ain't gonna matter how they're aimed! :rotfl:
I think you are right. My main concern is to keep my low beam from blinding and still cover well. I am just going to accept that I will have to be quick shutting down the high beam. It will blind however I aim it...

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
705 Posts
lol, I just realized where you are located. I'll have to check these out when you get them all done. I work in Oxford and live in Lapeer.

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
You'll know and feel when he turns them on!Stock up on sun block!
Ya know? I wonder if he could double as a snow remover, and just go around melting the snow out of parking lots and stuff. :undecided Good way to make some side money to feed the mod bug :tiphat

1 - 20 of 46 Posts