Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, well last week I was so excited to get the lift on the xuv! But right away I started having issues.
My endlinks started acting up(40k miles since changed so I wasn't too worried about that). When I took a 4 hour drive to Philly to pick up my new bfg M/T's I noticed some other problems.
I was leaking gear oil from the front transfer case, it was seeping/small drips from the drivers side cv shaft input, so I think the seal went. Also, to top it off, both drivers and passengers inner cv boots exploded! Grease everywhere!

First I'm wondering if this was a coincidence that it happened after the lift, I haven't done any crazy offroading, just some light trails.
Second, I have a CarMax warrenty that covers all test parts, nut can they void it because of the lift? The truck goes in Monday!

Any info would be great!

Frank

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,834 Posts
In doing the lift you changed the angle for the CV joints and that can cause the boots to crack and split. Roadie changed his CV joints and the new boots are a lot softer. I do not know about the insurance but I doubt that they will cover the damage.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,629 Posts
Yeah, some of us were unlucky to discover the stock cv boots don't really enjoy working at a higher angle. My driver side developed a leak at the inner clamp and the boot had to be replaced a few times.

The diff seal may be a coincidence, I'm not sure if the lift causes much if any added stresses there.

I'm not sure why the endlinks start to make more noise after a lift... but it seems to be a common thing with a lot of vehicles. It may have to do with changing that joint's working angle which may allow more slop in the joint.

You can always try to get it repaired under warranty. The worst they can say is 'its not covered'... then you can just stop paying for it because you know it's no help to you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
After I installed my lift I went to TECORE that weekend but when I got back all heck broke loose. I had a grease explosion from the CV joints as well. Rear end making a nice purring sound and also a transmission leak. For 1300.00 bucks I ended up replacing both CV joints and wheel bearing hubs (had play in both) transmission flush and seal and a new rear pinion bearing. Rides great now but I do have 136,000 on her and some things just wear out. Ouch!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
129 Posts
Things do wear out. I had just saved enough to do the lift and new hd struts and then had to dump $1,000.00 on both upper and lower balljoints, rack and pinion, axle seal, and pinion seal, and my optima battery died and had to be replaced. That set me back on my wheels for a while.

·
Southeast Chapter
2004 buick rainier
5,831 Posts
well remember u did goto the mall and that looked pretty ruff:crackup::crackup: good luck i hope it you get it fixed
this was the first thing i thought when i read our first post:dielaugh: but seriously hope everything gets fixed real quick:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
634 Posts
My driver side axle seal started leaking right before i did my lift then after i did my lift my left inner boot started leaking. My tie rods were fine when i did the alignment after the lift, now 5000 miles later my right outer tie rod is loose, and the left is a little bit loose.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
My quick impression is that all sorts of failures OTHER than inner CV boots are just coincidences. But the OEM boots are way too stiff, and with Cardone shafts being only $60 or so, just change them.

Changing shafts every 30-50K miles should be considered one of the continuing costs of a lift, and (checking to make sure what forum we're in now) is a good reason why nobody should be doing it for mere looks. Unless you get more personal perceived value out of the appearance than it's costing you.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,048 Posts
My time has been taken up by other things so I forgot to post, but its relevant to this discussion.

I just had to replace my aftermarket (MevoTech) CV shafts as well. I put them in back in August 2007 and got about 60,000 kms out them before the outer boots actually ripped.

They were of the softer material like the Cardone so they solve one issue but may have an issue of their own.

Luckily I had the original shafts and have those in for now. The actual joints are in good condition so I probably will be getting replacement boots and repacking them.

AG

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good news!

I brought the envoy to carmax on monday, and they told me that everything is covered! :D Including some additinal parts as well! So for $50 they are fixing: Replacing both endlinks, replacing sway bar bushing, replacing ball joints, fixing cv seal on transfer, and replacing the CV joints! Good thing for extended warranties!!!

Frank

·
Northeast Chapter
1,515 Posts
Nice job man! Warranty is a good thing. I am surprised they didn't mention the lift causing the problems, etc. I got back from Bahrain early, and took some leave time to come to Alabama to see my family. Took the truck to Firestone for an alignment (lifetime is great!!) and they let me check everything out while it was on the rack. My boots, etc look great. Thanks for this thread, cause it made me look at everything really close while it was up......

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Truck is all set, they fixed everthing, replaced the ball joints, end links, pinion seal, and axels. But im still having a slight noise passenger side front end. Carmax said they heard the noise and double checked everything and it all looked good. It just sounds like a light clunk over certain bumps, not the typical endlink rattle. Any idea what it could be, they said there seemed to be something loose in the front bumper (which i have to check) but it sounds like something with the suspension.

Also i was going to mount my new tires today, but they seem to have misplaced my key for my lock lug, so it'll be interesting how they handle this!

They even mentioned how it looked good with the lift! Im glad they were willing to do the work with the lift!!!

Frank

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.