Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say thank you to all of you guys. You are posting so much good informations that i could not resist and had to spent my money in parts for my trailblazer.. :) As i mainly read the Threads and taking so much informations from this great forum, i would like to give something back..

Okay here we go, i have upgraded my tires to 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2´s. I have driven them until today for 3 months and had no rubbing so far.
Thats the picture after installation:

Whats wrong in this picture? Yes the running boards had to go! After the tire installation i had to remove the running boards. Then the 2nd Failure? Yes the tires should have mounted with the white letters to the inside! Not a big problem so far as the rims would be powder coated in black and the tires had to be removed for that. The spare tire is now in the back of my cargo area, i had to remove the drawer unit therefore. I´ll be modifying the drawer somehow in the future and installing it back. The tire stands on the left side and is tighten with some straps, picture here:

Some of you know that i had a leaking bds shock. Sending the devective shock back to bds is too expensive from germany. So i had to change the rear shocks and decided to go with some old man emu nitrocharger shocks. Many offroad guys are using them here. The y are compressed shorter than the original shocks and longer when they are extended, which is giving me a better articulation.
Here is a link about the shocks:http://www.rocky-road.com/omeshocks.html
And a Picture of them installed in my Trailblazer:

The roof lights i had installed in the past, had the problem that they were a little to low mounted to spent enough light. This was the installation in the past:

From reading here in the forum about the offroad roof carriers in different types, it was my wish to add one.. But I want the carrier a little bit longer, something like the gobi roof carriers. I researched for some products but they all had the problem that they would be really expensive. From that point i decided to fab my own. My parents had a really old carrier in the garden which was hanging on the back on a garden house.. Oh man that one was so rusty! I took the side parts from the carrier and sanded and grinded that 2 parts and saw that these 2 pieces had the correct length for may carrier. After powder coating them in black these ones are like new! For the crossbars i decided to go with some heavy profiles. For the front crossbar with the lights and the rear crossbar i took these profiles:

For the inner profiles i wanted something stronger and took these ones:

I decided mainly in these profiles because they are so strong that you could stand on them and because they had the chance to mount some nut inside the rails like these:

You can adjust them to any point in the rails where you want and bolt something like this to the rails:

After building the carrier, the problem was how to mount the carrier to the roof?
I came to this solution for the rear:

And to this solution for the front:

These parts are fitting inside the factory roof rails and are bolted thru the factory mounting points:

Here some pictures of the mounted carrier:
View from above

View from the front:

View from inside thru the roof window:

And finally from the left side:

The left side is not complete on this picture..
So i hope you guys had fun reading this, like me when i am reading your story´s about your installations, expeditions and all the other stuff!
Karsten

· Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
294 Posts
Now that is looking good. I love the carrier. Much props. I think i am going to have to fab up my own stuff seeing i dont have money to buy anything but i have the skills and material to build stuff. Alot cheaper that way. Nice TB.:thumbsup:

· Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
371 Posts
Great looking truck, karo:woot:

I'm digging that rack and all without spending the insane amount manufactures charge (BTW, I'd love a Gobi too - even emailed them - but nothing ever received).

Wanna make me a custom rack? :p

· Registered
91 Posts
Hey man that is a outstanding job on the roof rack!!! I have been looking too and I think what you made is better than anything I have seen yet. Your TB looks awesome.:woot:

I like the 4x4 decal on the OEM roof rail. Is that Original or Custom?

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great looking truck, karo:woot:

I'm digging that rack and all without spending the insane amount manufactures charge (BTW, I'd love a Gobi too - even emailed them - but nothing ever received).

Wanna make me a custom rack? :p
Thanks to all of you!
Teebes i can fab a roof carrier for you if i can get a winch bumper from you! :)
But it think the shiping would be too expensive..

Hey man that is a outstanding job on the roof rack!!! I have been looking too and I think what you made is better than anything I have seen yet. Your TB looks awesome.:woot:

I like the 4x4 decal on the OEM roof rail. Is that Original or Custom?
The decals are from ebay, having them for 3 years.. Don´t know the seller right now..

Very nice Karsten! I like the idea of strapping the spare in the back too! I had considered something like that back before I purchased mine. How did you secure the straps to the floor?

Nice design on the roof rack too.
Thanks James! The tire fits nicely in there and is secured to the ground, you can see it from this picture:

· Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,629 Posts
Thanks James! The tire fits nicely in there and is secured to the ground, you can see it from this picture:
Interesting, I never thought about using the tie downs... You may be able to simplify your system by using a tie down like this one that is made for strapping down tires in the vertical orientation:

· Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,050 Posts
Very nice build. My only question is if you are using wheel spacers to keep your tires from rubbing? Can you please post up a picture of your tire to ball joint clearance? It seems that your wheels may have less back spacing than other stock wheels.

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting, I never thought about using the tie downs... You may be able to simplify your system by using a tie down like this one that is made for strapping down tires in the vertical orientation:
Interesting product, i have never seen that. It looks more solid!
Maybe i´ll try that.

Very nice build. My only question is if you are using wheel spacers to keep your tires from rubbing? Can you please post up a picture of your tire to ball joint clearance? It seems that your wheels may have less back spacing than other stock wheels.
The answer is yes! Have a look in my Profile, i have H&R wheel spacers.
The local law requires an expert opinion which comes from H&R here in Germany. The wheel spacers are 35 mm thick and the wheel studs have to be reduced by about 3-4 mm. I highly recommend the wheelspacers from Fred Goeske, as you don´t have the same local law requirements from here in germany! I´ll post a picture from the tire to ball joint clearance tomorrow.

Karsten

· Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
I am impressed! Appreciate the workmanship and design. :tiphat

And the fact that you learned from our discussions about running boards and tire lettering.

But then you show us this pre-offroading side of you that I thought you were going to eliminate. :dielaugh: ;) :rolleyes:

So you are the honorary first recipient of a new sticker I have to slap on you:

For the following blatant violations:

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am impressed! Appreciate the workmanship and design. :tiphat

And the fact that you learned from our discussions about running boards and tire lettering.

But then you show us this pre-offroading side of you that I thought you were going to eliminate. :dielaugh: ;) :rolleyes:

So you are the honorary first recipient of a new sticker I have to slap on you:

For the following blatant violations:

HAHAHA :dielaugh:
Okay you have to check this Defender and share it with your friends on expeditionportal.com, it is a little bit more excessive than mine:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.