Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help if you can. My 2004 Envoy has about 58k miles on it. Recently, when I start it in the cold weather (0-20 degrees F), all of the lights flicker, and simultaneously, the voltage shoots up to 16.5 and then down to 11.5 and jumps back and forth from those numbers a few times.

I've read other threads with similar problems, but my problem only seems to happen on start up, not while driving.

Would you think that battery/alternator connections could be a problem? voltage regulator?

I'm pretty good at figuring out how to fix things, I just need help diagnosing what needs fixing first! Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
i'm having a similar problem where when i start the vehicle, i only get 12 volts for the first couple seconds, then shoots up. i'm going to say that it has something to do with the weather (we've had -5 degrees here in chicago). but check the terminals on the battery and make sure the connections are clean and tight. if they are, chances are you might need a new battery, especially if its the factory battery.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
81 Posts
Id say battery is def a possibility, however your alternators internal voltage regulator might be on its way out, I would say have it diagnosed (most parts stores have the ability and of no charge) if the problem persists or worsens. You say the problem is only around start up and not driving? Hmm, odd that it disappears, Im going to have to reccomend putting a big block 572 crate motor in there, I just honest see another way of fixing this issue.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,339 Posts
i start the vehicle, i only get 12 volts for the first couple seconds, then shoots up.
I think that is normal.

The jumping from 11.5 - 16.5 doesn't sound right though. Like the others said, maybe a loose connection somewhere or the alternator.:undecided

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
375 Posts
This issue has been talked about for a while on here. The general answer is to replace the battery. If you take the cover off of the battery you may notice some slight or even moderate bulging. This was what was wrong with mine (and quite a few others on here). Tested battery at autozone and it came back bad. New batter fixed 99.9% of the problem. Only time the lights flicker now is when heater is on full blast.

Another "fix" for this issue is to replace and clean your connections and wires for positive and ground wires under the hood.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
55 Posts
I had this issue about 2 weeks ago and it ended up being the battery. Removed the battery cover and the battery was bulging and leaking. Replaced the battery and that solved my problem.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
I had this issue about 2 weeks ago and it ended up being the battery. Removed the battery cover and the battery was bulging and leaking. Replaced the battery and that solved my problem.
Yup, same here. I had this happen about a year ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts