Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am done replacing the seal, but when I put the cv axle back in, it wont go in all the way, It looks like it needs about 1/4 inch. I think the problem is the washer that is near the end of the shaft. It must have opened up a bit and doesn't allow it to go in all the way. How necessary is that washer? Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its there for a purpose.. so I would try to close it up if you can... did you also get a new axle hub nut?
Ok, I think I was wrong. I looked at the passenger side and it looks like it has the same gap.

What axle nut? I didn't remove the axle completely, only from the differential.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another question, I plan on using Amsoil, but I want to run it for 100 or 200 miles and drain it. Would Valvoline oil be good enough for that?(half the price)

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
You might need to lube up the splined part. The split washer on the end is a retention clip - the one that has to be overcome by using the brass drift punch on the tripot housing to get the shaft out.

If you don't get it snapped back in, it will be loose, and the splines will move in and out as the suspension cycles up and down, instead of the greased up one inside the tripot housing. Problem is, you CAN'T safety hammer on the shaft to get it to snap in, because that would damage the joints.

Try to lube it up (if you haven't stopped struggling with it) and get it to engage properly. That 1/4 is critical!

Here's my old (OEM) and new (Cardone) ones.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt_xl
11 Posts
Hi,

Was this the passenger or driver side CV axle?

I was working on my passenger side and found a steel ring inside the shaft that doesn't look like it needs to be there. I can't find any reference to it.

Also, as I will be repeating this process soon, is there any other trick to releasing the spring clip without the use of a brass drift? I haven't one in my arsenal and I will be alone this time (no helper hands). We had a hard time removing it the first time.

Thanks to all!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This was on the Driver's side.
It is alot easier with a helper, but I was able to take it out and put it back on by myself. I used the handle from my jack and put it against the tripot. The first time it took quite a bit of hammering, but after that, it just got easier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts