Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... Give the Newb a little room to vent first. I could not find anything that matched this issue in "search."

I recently purchased a 2008 Trailblazer, 10K miles and never previously owned... and a great price. Love it.

After purchase and a trip shortly thereafter to So. Cal., I realized that OnStar was not activarted. So I activate it and choose the "Directions and Connections" setup. All is well. Yesterday I call to activate service with Verizon and OnStar on Verizon's Family Share Plan (I can add the TB as an extra line on my wireless bill for $10 a month and use our shared minutes... and I use A LOT with what I do). This is a GREAT feature and one major reason why I went with the TB.

I should also say that I have had several conversations in the last few weeks with both OnStar and Verizon about how to best configure my setup (i.e. whether to put the new number on the TB or put my current number in the TB and have it forwarded to my cell when I am not in the vehicle).

AT NO TIME did anyone give any indication of a window closing for signing up for this feature.

In any case, yesterday (July 17), I called to set this up and am told by both Verizon and OnStar that they are NOT signing up any NEW customers... they are only serving continuing customers. After numerous phone calls to both companies and climbing the chain on both... no satisfaction! Now understand... this is one of two deal-breaker features that I checked on before I purchased (the other was comfort:)). I now own a TB (past 30 day window to return) and no functionality with Verizon. Now, this my sound like a detail to some... but for me it is the "bell ringer" feature.

Any advice would be appreciated?

· Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,037 Posts
:tiphatFirst off, welcome to the site. Now if I were in your shoes, I would contact the Dealer, the head dog at onstar, and the head dog at verizin! Explain to them just what you did to us, and tell them you will be forced to contact a news organization! Here in Nashville we have a reporter that hawks a 'thats messed up!' segment, and you would be impressed with the results he gets!:woot: Just my:m2:

· Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
8,149 Posts
#1) :tiphat Welcome :tiphat .#2) 10k and never previously owned? That must have been a h**l of a long drive from the delivery truck to the parking lot! Or a lot of test drives. #3) I can't help with your problem, but does this mean OnStar is no longer offered free for one year on new vehicles? That was a big advertising offer. When was it dropped?

· Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
5,344 Posts
Well, this is a good place to start: http://solutions.vzwshop.com/onstar/

It says it is still offered there, so that gives you the right to tear someone a new one. With that page in place, they would almost have to give you the service.

It says that you need to call to check eligibility, but I am pretty sure that just means checking whether your Onstar is digital or the old analog style, and since you are in a 2008, you have the digital setup.

They can't be advertising it and not allow you to sign up, so I would raise hell unless they can give you a good reason otherwise.

· Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
4,302 Posts

It says it is still offered there, so that gives you the right to tear someone a new one. With that page in place, they would almost have to give you the service.

It says that you need to call to check eligibility, but I am pretty sure that just means checking whether your Onstar is digital or the old analog style, and since you are in a 2008, you have the digital setup.

They can't be advertising it and not allow you to sign up, so I would raise hell unless they can give you a good reason otherwise.
:iagree:I seen it advertised on tv not long ago also...wtf!

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just called again and got the ever so nice "go jump in the river" answer. I will start climbing the ladder again tomorrow. If anyone has a heavyweight contact person for me to start with... that would be great.

I am in disbelief.

· Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
I assume the attraction is the $10 a month charge, or the 3W transmit power, or the more distant reception with the rooftop antenna?

I have the service, and it's a total PITA to get into voice dial mode once a call is in progress to accurately enter digits for navigating a menu. I would think if you didn't need the higher transmit power that you'd just get a good bluetooth adapter for your normal phone.

Or the BlueStar adapter: http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=44733 but IIRC that replaces the OnStar box altogether so if you want them both I'm not sure what's the current state of the art.

· Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,905 Posts
I switch mine over to digital because they said they were going to do this,and I told them when it happens to call me and I will sign off!I'm still waiting for the call(never Verizon or Onstar called me!)We never had any commercials or anything in the mail or on our bills!:mad::hissy::nono::hopeless

· Banned
chevy
12,987 Posts
Just thinking about this. Currently GM (the new GM) is in the process of writing all new contracts. The contract they had with onstar and verizon may have been effected with the bankruptcy. I would bet that the service would come back after a short time. My wife is currently dealing with similar issues with her Chrysler work vehicle.

· Registered
3,434 Posts
Just thinking about this. Currently GM (the new GM) is in the process of writing all new contracts. The contract they had with onstar and verizon may have been effected with the bankruptcy. I would bet that the service would come back after a short time. My wife is currently dealing with similar issues with her Chrysler work vehicle.
Real good point. It doesn't seem right that they would just turn away new customers.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are they giving you any reasons?
At this point... they are simply saying that the "new policy" is no new enrollments. No admission of responsibility from either side even when hard pressed.

I assume the attraction is the $10 a month charge, or the 3W transmit power, or the more distant reception with the rooftop antenna?

I have the service, and it's a total PITA to get into voice dial mode once a call is in progress to accurately enter digits for navigating a menu. I would think if you didn't need the higher transmit power that you'd just get a good bluetooth adapter for your normal phone.

Or the BlueStar adapter: http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=44733 but IIRC that replaces the OnStar box altogether so if you want them both I'm not sure what's the current state of the art.
The $10 a month was a key point as was a stronger signal. As for ease of use... I just assumed it would be well thought thru and engineered...HAH! Really a pain to use though, huh? Bummer.

I have a good bluetooth earpiece... a Jawbone II.

One possibility mentioned by the OnStar rep was whether my TB has bluetooth installed. It does not. Even if I cannot get the 3W connection thru the truck... how can I still use the sound system for my cell connection (ala OnStar functionality)? I like the mute feature, volume control, etc of going thru the sound system. Is there a way to install bluetooth in the TB to allow this while still retaining OnStar?

· Registered
588 Posts
I agree, this SUCKS....just traded in my TBSS and got a G8 and went to add Verizon line to Onstar and found out this program was suspended last month. Hoepfully it is just related to the restructuring of the general and a new deal will be out soon.

· Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,624 Posts
yea i dont see any company saying.. no we dont want ur money.. i have to agree that this has to be with GM reorganizing.. they are still in the process of getting everythign put together.. i would imagine (unless they are getting rid of it all together and just waiting for everyone's elses contract to expire for there call through onstar feature) that it will be re-released once everythign is settled...

once a company changes name or owners most if not all contracts have to be renewed and resigned. just like when the government took over GM... the union contracts should have to be resigned and or re negotiated... :)m2: this is just coming from someone whos old job changed owners 3 times in 3 years with 3 new names and having to set up all new contracts and accounts everywhere cause of new name and owners...)

· Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,638 Posts
At this point... they are simply saying that the "new policy" is no new enrollments. No admission of responsibility from either side even when hard pressed.

The $10 a month was a key point as was a stronger signal. As for ease of use... I just assumed it would be well thought thru and engineered...HAH! Really a pain to use though, huh? Bummer.

I have a good bluetooth earpiece... a Jawbone II.

One possibility mentioned by the OnStar rep was whether my TB has bluetooth installed. It does not. Even if I cannot get the 3W connection thru the truck... how can I still use the sound system for my cell connection (ala OnStar functionality)? I like the mute feature, volume control, etc of going thru the sound system. Is there a way to install bluetooth in the TB to allow this while still retaining OnStar?

lookm in the audio forum, theres a whole wirte up on bluetooth onstar intergration i believe its called blue star... check there

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.