Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may think this question is dumb but I am not a car guy.
Lets say that theoretically someone drove their Envoy like the devil was driving up their @$$hole. Something along the lines of an average of 100 miles per hour for an hour and a half. Just floored it... what would you recommend that be done as far as preventative maintenance goes?

·
Registered
gmc
3,112 Posts
Lets say that theoretically someone drove their Envoy like the devil was driving up their @$$hole. Something along the lines of an average of 100 miles per hour for an hour and a half. Just floored it... what would you recommend that be done as far as preventative maintenance goes?
for you or your envoy:D

·
Premium Member
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
481 Posts
If the high speed was maintained and constant I wouldn't do anything except maybe change the oil a bit sooner. If speeds were varied dramatically you will run into some bigger issues especially with the tranny. I would also let the car idle with the hood open for a couple of minutes to dissipate some of the heat generated after driving like such an a**hole.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Preventative? So this is going to be done before the Cannonball Run/bank job get away? Make sure all fluids are at the correct level. And the tires are in good/like new condition.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
1,356 Posts
Some thign to remember at that speed .. and in FL area ..

NEVER jam on the brakes ..
If a tire blows at speed, chances are your dead
A that speed, any bug guts will fuse themselves to the windshield

I am sure there are more .. but ..

I once did that in a older car I had .. can you say "Boiled" the trans fluid ..

I agree .. just change all your fluids afterwards .. if doing it before .. doing it about a week before you test the laws of physics and drive normally until your sonic speed run

Good tires .. make sure they are balanced correctly and have a high speed rating .. dont want them starting to come apart cause of heat.

:m2:

·
Registered
18 Posts
This reminds me of the kid who posted on a BMW forum about driving his M5 over 120 MPH or something. The forum suggested different things, etc. He then took it to an airstrip and drove it off the end and through a tree. He killed himself and a few friends who were also in the car. So, let me be the one to say, don't drive your truck that fast.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Columns/articleId=124526

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,147 Posts
This reminds me of the kid who posted on a BMW forum about driving his M5 over 120 MPH or something. The forum suggested different things, etc. He then took it to an airstrip and drove it off the end and through a tree. He killed himself and a few friends who were also in the car. So, let me be the one to say, don't drive your truck that fast.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Columns/articleId=124526

WOW! Read the article and I'm speechless... All I have to say is leave that kind of driving to more experienced people, like professional drivers. That accident could have been completely avoided had he actually known how to drive his car at those speeds.

·
Premium Member
9,559 Posts
My advice to you since you are "not a car guy":

Drive the legal limit and leave earlier.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
So, let me be the voice for the other side :D. We don't know where he was driving .......... maybe on the autobahn, where 100mph is acceptable and probably safe. :undecided

But to get back to the question at hand......"what maintenance should be done" ........ just the usually. Is my answer.

Most of us (probably all that are reading this thread) have driven at 75, or 80, for an extended length of time, an other 20 mph is not a big thing (for the truck).

These trucks are designed to do this ........... They do end up on the autobahns.

Now, assuming you have the skills and can drive this speed legally, have fun, the truck will be fine :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
as said many times before.. basic maintance is all that is needed.. maybe a synthetic oil would help...

just remember ur driving a 2.5 ton brick.. cant handle that well.. not to mention a strong wind.. just becareful..

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Preventative? So this is going to be done before the Cannonball Run/bank job get away? Make sure all fluids are at the correct level. And the tires are in good/like new condition.
I would invest in some run flats.......that'll get you a little more mileage.....:crackup:......you should be fine........just as long as you listen to the other guys suggestion you'll be on your way!!

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
OK Im 19 and there's no way in he|| you'd catch me doing 100+ for more than 10-15 mins. And I just got my 08 SS too, its just not worth it man. Maybe Im just more focused on LIVING than some people my age who do crazy stuff and get in accidents, but I love life and after seeing 2 guys die in my sophmore class here at Gonzaga since last May (not car related however) it makes me value life more than before. There is also another guy who was in a rollover accident who was almost killed, in a coma for days if not weeks, had to relearn to walk, who he was, who his parents and girlfriend were, etc. That was going home to Thanksgiving break and he is still recovering. And he was going the speed limit, clear roads, no one around him, he got distracted at the wheel.

I almost lost one of my best friends, basically closest I have to an older brother, last July when a drunk driver was going 80 in a 35 zone near our houses and blew a red light. Took the front end off my friend's girlfriend's Jetta and sent the engine/trans sailing at least 25 feet from the car. He had to be cut out and put in a medically induced coma for about a week before he was stable enough to function on his own. He couldnt walk and was in a wheelchair for 5 months. He can now walk around and continue building his cars, but he is getting massive headaches everyday from this accident so he cannot work. (This is the guy that I got my car modding initiative from, showed me how to change the oil on my 02 for the first time.) I was scared $hitless, he is about to turn 24 years old in May and almost didnt make it. Do yourself and all of us a favor man, dont drive that fast. I dont want you to be in the hospital or a body bag.

So do what you want but from my short life I have had just enough experience with deaths or really close calls of people my age in the past year that it is just NOT WORTH IT.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
OK Im 19 and there's no way in he|| you'd catch me doing 100+ for more than 10-15 mins.

So do what you want but from my short life I have had just enough experience with deaths or really close calls of people my age in the past year that it is just NOT WORTH IT.
Wise words my young friend

1 - 20 of 36 Posts