Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got around to changing my u joints today. dropped everything and when i go to take out the old u joints i just cant seem to do it. followed everything i read on like 20 different sites but they just dont seem to want to come out.

towards the rear one i cant seem to find the clips or anything that should be there on the ones that are still in their holes. Please help me out here, tips,tricks , anything. my tb is sittin in the garage right now with bricks under the wheels.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i got 2 new sets but heres where im stuck. the bearings seem rusted into the yoke and i cannot pound them out for the life of me. The 2 bearings that are in the yoke i cannot even see the clips around them at all so either there not there or they are inside the yoke area. pounded the bearing to hell with a hammer and a old socket extension but got no where...about to give up and take it to a shop and have them remove em for me

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
The original u-joints have nylon inserts (the things in the small holes) usually a torch, heated until a puff of smoke, and then a small sledge hammer will make them give. The replacements use the c clips. Older Caddies with the double knuckles were a real pain.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
434 Posts
Yes, you should see the nylon inserts sticking out. Use a propane torch on them, they will "snake" out when you get them hot enough. You will not pound them out until you do this.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
success! thank you to everyone for all the help. i can finally do over 60 without feeling like im gonna lose control

1 - 11 of 11 Posts