Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 Trailblazer's ignition switch is stuck in the LOCK position. The interior lights come on when I open the doors & the keyless remote works fine. I can insert the key & remove it. The ignition switch will not budge. I have disconnected/reconnected the battery. The door chimes when I open the door with or w/out the key in the switch. Is some kinda anti-theft turned on? I have read the manual & trolled the internet all day. Just not sure if this is a bad switch or anti-theft control...or something else? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Is some kinda anti-theft turned on? Just not sure if this is a bad switch or anti-theft control...or something else?
Based on what you posted I would suspect the lock cylinder.

To verify, put the key in, and while attempting to turn it, smack it (inwards towards the steering column) with a SFH a couple times. Post results.

·
Registered
gmc
43 Posts
Me too

I sure would like to hear a fix for that. Mine is doing a similar thing but not as bad. On my 2003 TB, the ignition key has gradually become harder to turn. At one point it wouldn't turn at all........until I grabbed just one of the little key assists?? (They look like little mouse ears on either side of the key, somebody's probly got the right name) anyway, grabbed the top one and juggled it lightly. it allows me to turn the ignition on everytime it gets stuck in the off position. No problems so far turning it off.

Tried different keys. Tried some dry lube. Haven't tried fuse 47 yet but thats next. Not expecting big things with the fuse bit.

I'm figuring it will eventually lead to a replacement of the ignition cylinder unless someone has a fix. :coffee

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to replace the key lock cylinder. The original was jammed due possibly to my 2yr old :duh: $55 from GM. I had a hard time getting the jammed one out. I had to drill it out!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
3 Posts
I am having same problem on 2003 LS; sounds pretty common? I will try some of the above resolutions but I'm thinking it may be the key lock cylinder based on the way it's behaving.

·
Registered
2005 gmc trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
New to the forum

I have a very similar problem but my key will not go into the Lock position

I have the removed the stearing colum covers and have pushed the manual release on the locking cylinder which allowed me to remove the key.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the locking cylinder activation?

Have put a 12V bat to it and it seems to work I am going to disable this if I can not find a diagram to trace the source.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Rear fuse #47, "IGN 0", turned on by the ignition switch in modes ACCY/RUN/START, feeds the transmission mode switch down on the driver's side of the tranny, pink wire on pin F. In the PARK position only, that switch closes, and then pin C puts 12 V on a yellow wire that travels back to the lock cylinder solenoid, whose other side goes to ground G201 by way of a black wire.

Very simple circuit - sorry nobody that I can find ever posted the schematic.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
New to the forum

I have a very similar problem but my key will not go into the Lock position

I have the removed the stearing colum covers and have pushed the manual release on the locking cylinder which allowed me to remove the key.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the locking cylinder activation?

Have put a 12V bat to it and it seems to work I am going to disable this if I can not find a diagram to trace the source.
How old is the battery? Have you had it load tested? Not just a voltage check.

Many members have had that problem and fixed it with a new battery. :m2:

·
Registered
2005 gmc trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply

If anyone has a copy of the schmatic please post :)

I just drilled/filed a hole in the steering wheel cover and attached a manual button to the solenoid lock manual release.

I did measure for voltage on the connector but it seemed to climb in voltage more so then just go to 12V dc

Tested the solenoid with a 12V bat and it actuated so I would believe it seems to be functioning.

Is the unlock door function tied into this circuit? When placing the truck in park it does unlock the doors.

It is leading me to a possible bad ground :(

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I did measure for voltage on the connector but it seemed to climb in voltage more so then just go to 12V dc
Was the other end of your meter on a good ground? Did you measure continuity from the black wire on the solenoid to a good ground? "Climbing in voltage" is an odd result, and would make me suspect the meter grounding. If it's a good high impedance meter, it can indeed measure the static charge in the air if the two leads aren't placed on good sources of voltage, either 12V or ground.
It is leading me to a possible bad ground :(
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=74110

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
2 Posts
What type of screw is it in the steering column that i have to remove to get to the ignition cylinder? So tiny i can't tell is it a hex head or allen wrench? Took a pic but can't really tell.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
631 Posts
I was told you would need a an E5 Torx bit.

let me know how it goes, as I have one to replace as well, not broken yet just a preventative measure.

I consider it cheap piece of mind.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Me too

I sure would like to hear a fix for that. Mine is doing a similar thing but not as bad. On my 2003 TB, the ignition key has gradually become harder to turn. At one point it wouldn't turn at all........until I grabbed just one of the little key assists?? (They look like little mouse ears on either side of the key, somebody's probly got the right name) anyway, grabbed the top one and juggled it lightly. it allows me to turn the ignition on everytime it gets stuck in the off position. No problems so far turning it off.

Tried different keys. Tried some dry lube. Haven't tried fuse 47 yet but thats next. Not expecting big things with the fuse bit.

I'm figuring it will eventually lead to a replacement of the ignition cylinder unless someone has a fix. :coffee
Better to just replace it. I had mine lock up a few years ago and had to replace the key lock, then the security system lock and the key release. Never did the last. It is over $100. Now I have to replace everything again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On my gf's 06 Trailblazer the ignition key is hard to turn, have to jiggle the steering wheel (I'm used to the old school Chevy's having a rod that pushed on the switch.) Or we jiggle the key to get it started. From everything I'm reading it's either a bent key ( fairly easy fix) or the cylinder itself is bad. 😤 Oh well

1 - 20 of 22 Posts