Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife's 2002 Trailblazer has blown the 10A Ignition E fuse (Fuse #22) several times in the past couple of days. The car will not turn over when the fuse is blown and the only thing that happens is the dash warning lights go out when the ignition is turned to start it.

Any suggestions on what the probable cause is or where to start diagnosing this issue would be helpful.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
124 Posts
My wife's 2002 Trailblazer has blown the 10A Ignition E fuse (Fuse #22) several times in the past couple of days. The car will not turn over when the fuse is blown and the only thing that happens is the dash warning lights go out when the ignition is turned to start it.

Any suggestions on what the probable cause is or where to start diagnosing this issue would be helpful.
Might be the ignition switch is bad or a short in the ignition wiring someplace.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
"IGN E" powers a huge number of load wires, including the AC compressor relay, Park/Neutral switch on the side of the tranny, stop lamp switch signal (that goes to the PCM and the ABS module, not the lamps), instrument panel, turn signal multifunction switch, and the inside rear view mirror. These are mostly color coded pink.

Since the fuse gets ITS power from the ignition switch RUN/START bus, that's why it blows when you turn the ignition switch on.

There is basically no easy way to find this other than a tedious examination of all those harnesses for exposed insulation and a short. If I had to guess, I'd start with the transmission park/neutral harness since it's exposed under the car for a bit, the brake pedal area, and the multifunction switch harness under the steering wheel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fuse blew again today, however, my wife noticed another symptom when it went: the tach jumped around quite a bit prior to the fuse blowing.

Does this help with where to start looking or is it just connected to a long line of things as mentioned before? Thanks so much for the previous responses guys!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The issue went away and now it is blowing consistently....I have everything turned off (turn signals, air, radio, etc) and I can get fuse #22 to blow with the vehicle running and in park by pressing the brake. Assuming from the roadie's reply should I start looking towards the stop lamp switch? Mechanic already replaced the park/neutral switch...

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
I'm Having the same issue. Just wondering if you ever found the problem and what it was.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
1 Posts
Trailblazer ignition fuse E keeps blowing

I have had the same problem with my Trailblazer. Today I did some research and tracking down wiring I was finding out that I only would blow the ignition fuse when I pressed the brake pedal. So I disconnected the brake light switch located on the brake pedal and I was not blowing the fuse anymore. I replaced it with a new brake light switch and it worked. Fixed the problem. I found that the original switch was made in Mexico probably a cheap part. The new part made in the good old USA.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine has blown 2 times now 6 months apart. and the tach went nuts and the dash lights, blinkers, all the same symptoms your wife saw. I am replacing the ABS sensor cable that is on my front drivers side as it was broken when my upper ball joint broke. I never had the problem of it blowing before this. Soooo i shall see when the part comes in. Fingers crossed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts