Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first post here. Lots of good info. I have a question. I've just installed a large sound system with headrest dvd's, etc. Anyways I needed to get accessory power for the Headrest DVD's and none of the RAP wires had enough voltage to run them. So, I was told to either tap the ignition wire in the fusebox in the engine compartment or the accessory wire under the steering column. I decided to tap the ignition wire........the manual I was using had the wrong color code. It said red instead of pink. This wire was actually always hot so this was no good for me. So, I removed my tap and taped up the wire then tapped the brown accessory wire under the steering column instead. Works great. However, I now have about a 3 second ignition delay before the starter cranks when I turn the key that I did not ever have before. Does anyone have any idea what's going on???????????? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, forgot to mention......this is an 07 trailblazer LT. When I turn my key, I get all power, etc. It just delays for a few seconds before the starter cranks and engine starts. Then, when I shut it off, engine shuts off, but the battery light on my dash stays lit for a second longer than it used to then I hear a click in the engine compartment and everything goes off like it should. There are no issues with the RAP.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Unless you had a coincidental failure of the ignition switch, it sounds like your system is just drawing too much current from the accessory wire.

You should use a relay. Controlled by the accessory wire, but sending your system unswitched 12V straight from the battery. Without a relay, adding extra current loads to the poor, undersized ignition switch contacts is going to reduce its already miserable lifetime.

I think your system is storing energy in filter caps, and when the ignition is off, feeding the vehicle backwards and that's why the battery light is staying on.

How big a system is this anyway, and why isn't it connected straight to the battery?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The DVD monitors are the alpine headrest DVD monitors. There are 2 of them. I'll try and remove them from the ignition harness accessory wire and see if everything goes back to normal. The reason I chose this spot was to have the monitors function with the RAP. BAD IDEA i guess. I'll update again once I've removed the wire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was the problem exactly. I'll use a relay as you suggested. Thanks for all the help. When I'm done I'll post pics of my whole setup, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts