Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question hope someone can help. I see people using the Z71 shocks for the extra lift in the back and was thinking.. would it be the same if I bought aftermarket Z71 shocks like the Bilsteins?? I don't see how it would but I wanted to ask those more experienced in the TV lift field.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Shocks don't add lift. There may be a bit of gas pressure in them, but the springs do all the heavy lifting. Tahoe Z71 shocks are only good for being longer, which gives you more articulation.

People get them because they're cheap. Or actually free, since they come bundled from the Ebay vendor that sells the low mileage takeoff Z71 springs. I got a set and never used them, since I already have longer shocks that come with the BDS lift kit.

There are dozens of aftermarket shocks that fit the Tahoe/Avalanche/Suburban platform. They all need a bit of shimming or washer work to get them to fit trailvoys, and I think there's no benefit unless you need the articulation.

If you get a set for free from Ebay with the springs, then it's worth trying to fit them. But they aren't valved correctly for OUR weight for street use so I'd never advise buying them if you're getting the lift for appearance sake only. No reason.

But please everybody memorize this: SHOCKS DO NOT PROVIDE LIFT.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Back to this topic.. I wanted to use them for longer length for increased articulation offroad. This would be going on an ext model (app. 6000lbs.) with Mark's 2.5 suspension lift, including the rear suspension spring "block" under the ext springs. As you stated earlier this would fit with only minor shimming??

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I was planning on getting the bilstein hd shocks in the z71 fitment. Wasnt sure if i wanted the extra lift in the rear with the z71 springs with the lift I have. I think it would change the rake too much. What is the difference in height between the ext springs with lift and the z71 springs alone? OR the z71 springs with mark's lift?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
625 Posts
I think i only gained 3/4 of an inch with my z71 springs so i also added a 1 inch spacer block on top of my spring. I agree with james on the springs if you carry any cargo or tow a trailer they make a HUGE difference. The problem i have with my stock replacement bilstein shocks is everyonce in a while they over extend like this spring when the roads were heaving here in wisconsin, or coming out of a dip in the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts