Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my amp fried, and its gonna be like 2 bills to fix it. currently im poor at the mement, lol. i picked up this MTX amp off craigs list for $40. Running my backup sub, 10" icon D2, wired to 4 ohms. pushing around 350 @ 4 ohms. the box is just a q-logic, i borrowed from a friend. getting a new box built should be done in a few days.

the sub get kinda loud, with the gains set to 3/4ths. the sq isnt the same as 2x treos on 1100 watts, lol.

pics:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
133 Posts
That sucks about your amp. What MTX amp did you get? That Icon has a lot of potential if it got 1000 watts rms. Post pics of that box your getting built once you get it! I have a similar sub but it's a 12". It's a Fi Q.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the new box will be about 1.5 cubic feet (before subwoofer displacement) tuned to around 33 hertz. yeah, sux about the amp. i got a quote from a dealer saying it would be around $180 for a new board. i called MMATS and got the secetary, she told me it could be as much as 3 bills! im thinking for that much i might just get a new amp (or a new used amp). but the head technician is out for some show, so she could be wrong, hopfully.

its an mtx thunder 6152, around 350 rms. i had the icon on the mmats before it fried, and it was da' shizzle. it was SO LOUD. i didnt expect it from one 10. not quite as loud as two 12s or the sound quality of the treos. but when it got retarded loud the box showed how much of a pice it really is, the port noise was terriable.

money is a little tight at the moment, ive got half the box paid off. hopfully have the second half by the end of this week. still need to talk the the head technician at mmats for some final thoughts.....

That sucks about your amp. What MTX amp did you get? That Icon has a lot of potential if it got 1000 watts rms. Post pics of that box your getting built once you get it! I have a similar sub but it's a 12". It's a Fi Q.
i was looking into the "Q", a few people said i would be happier with the SQ from the icon. plus it was somewhat local, picked it up for $150 (plus $20 in gas).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Wow 300 dollars is a lot for just that. That could go into a new amp later on or possibly a very nice older used amp. That box sounds like it will be nice. Mine is 2.5 cubes after displacement tuned to 32hz. The sound quality of the Q and the Icon are actually very similar. There was this box builder that had 2 12" Q's and swapped them for 2 12" Icons in the same box and he said that the Q's got a bit louder but the Icons got just a little bit lower but overall they are very comparable in terms of sound quality and loudness. I must say though I'm very impressed with the low end of the Q. Do you know what that Q-logic box is tuned to?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow 300 dollars is a lot for just that.
i dont think we're on the same page. the pictured amp is the mtx, ive already taken out the MMATS.

the mmats amp could push 2000rms with the proper electrical, brand new its around a grand. so spend some money and basically i get a brand new amp, minus the shell.

·
Registered
133 Posts
No we are on the same page, I just didn't correctly word myself. I meant for fixing your MMATS amp that's alot compared to the 180 you were quoted from the dealer. Sorry for the confusion I was in a rush.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:thumbsup:

shazaam: what are you running.. you seem to have some experience with this kind of thing. are you on CA or ROE.com ?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Uhh it's nothing too crazy I'm just running a 12" Fi Q ported in a 2.5 cube after displacement box tuned to 32hz that I made myself with a budget Planet Audio RXD1000 amp, a Pioneer Premier DEH-980BT head unit and some Pioneer 6.5's my cousin gave to me for free. The speakers are ok but they arent the best but they were for free so yeah. I'm not on CA but I have an account on ROE but I haven't posted anything up yet. I also have an account on SSA's forum. All by the same name. Yeah I'm pretty much obsessed with car audio and bass lol. Oh by the way nice Treo's. Are those the SSI's?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah SSi. i wanted to downgrade, cause im finally leaving for college. with mileage and space, plus i didnt want anything to get stolen.

that headunit is anything but budget. i want it! that or a clarion.

you need to hit up CA's classifieds. get some speakers. i got my HSK's for $250.

i need some pics of that Q in the box! how do you have an account on ssa and still bash the icon :thumbsup:

·
Registered
133 Posts
You want to downgrade the SSi's?? Those are awesome subs! I think you should try to keep one sealed atleast and maybe put the other in your dorm or where ever you are going to stay.

I love my head unit its so cool lol. I really need to get better speakers and amp them because my midbass is pretty lacking. I think some sound deadener would help too. 250 is not a bad price for HSK's. I was looking into Hertz but I don't know where to get them from. Good luck in college by the way.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
more like i dont want them to get stolen. second the weight is pretty insane. a box like that is, well it takes two to move it.

they would be sweet HT, but i know next to nothing when it comes to that stuff.

deadener helps some, more for vibrations.

ive got a hertz dealer in STL, he wanted $500 for a pair of HSKs. if you want my supplyer i can give him to you, hes over on CA.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Oh. That does look like a huge box. Well I was just throwing that idea out there because its an option. I also don't know much about HT setups either.

I also read that deadener helps with midbass because it kind of seals the door or something.

I'll have to think about that one because I'm also broke right now.

I just noticed that last part on your post. I'm not bashing the Icon lol. I actually didn't know of the Icon until right before I bought my Q. I was thinking hard about it but I ended up going with the Q because it was cheaper and people said that you couldn't go wrong with either :)

As for pictures I'd be happy to post one or two but my camera batteries are dead so I will have to take some tomorrow.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just giving you shi t.

you broke too, that seems to be going around :)

the box is 1.8 per chamber before displacement. so ... 3.2 cubes.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yeah it does seem to be going around :(
I'm trying to find some old stuff I don't need anymore around the house to try and sell to get more stuff lol. But so far no luck.

3.2 cubes? I thought that was like 4 or bigger lol. I guess it's the angle. How wide is the enclosure?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Oh I see. Did you design it?

Here is a pic of my setup right now. It used to be facing up but I changed it. Nothing too crazy. Adds a nice thump to my music :)
The box could have been better but it's my first box so yeah.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
good start. i like the length of it, enfough room for what ever you need to put back there. looks better than my first box, well my only box to be exact.

i would of put my mono in the cubby hole but my 4 channel is already there.

i would carpet the box or paint it. as much as i enjoy the wiries through the port, ive done it before myself :), i think it looks better with a terminal cup or just dill 2 holes in the back. just big enfough for the wires then silicon around 'em. my $0.02.

no, i did not design my box. a guy on ROE did it for me. i think next i wanna try an 8" in a T-line box :thumbsup:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks lol. Yeah I wanted to make it wider just for that reason. That's also why I keep the cubby door in the back too incase I need the space. I just keep it open all the time to help cool my amp some more

I want to carpet the box too. Or probably paint it black or something. I didn't want the wires through the port but I didn't have a terminal cup lol. I didn't think about drilling holes though that's not a bad idea.

I want to design a T-line one day too. But the box making skills required are way above my level though lol.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

here is a t-line i got designed for an 8" L7 i had, it sounded like poo in a sealed box so i didnt go through with it. now im thinking about some of those newer Sundown 8's (2) or the new Dcon 8's (not released yet), or a DD 1508 .... lol, so many to chose from.

yes i used 8 awg wire for my speakers. for smaller guage wire i would use a terminal cup. you dont need a screw driver if you ever need to take your subs out. and they are like $2 on partsexpress . com

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think you should do the Dcons or maybe a Soundsplinter Rl-i 8. I heard those are very nice drivers too. There are too many subs to choose from lol. I saw a video of Mark's Santa Fe (I think it's his atleast) with 2 10" Dcon prototypes ported and they were ratting a car wash roof really loudly. Its somewhere on youtube. Here I found it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20MoqlykV0w&feature=channel_page

1 - 20 of 83 Posts