Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 LTZ I6 as my (now) DD and now just got an 03 LTZ 2WD with a I6 that has a rod through the block. My plan for this 03 is to swap in an engine I was using in my '73 C/K which is an LQ4 that's been stroked to 6.7L. (Drunk driver hit me and totaled it)

The engine also has MSD 6LS ignition/coils and a full MSD Atomic EFI with an MSD Airforce intake and MSD Throttle body. I spent a pretty penny on this engine so I'd really like to be able to use it. It only has 16k miles on it since built. I also have 2 walbro 255 fuel pumps and 1000cc injectors.

I also have a 4L80-E with a 3000 stall that was in the C/K that's controlled by an MSD transmission controller, I know this probably won't fit can I do anything I can do to make it fit? It only has 16k miles on it since it got built by Mad Dog transmissions. Perhaps I'll just sell it and buy a 4L60-E from them.

I've read on many other swap posts that I'll need new transmission mounts and a harness. My goal is to get rid of as much GM computer interference as I can. What else am I going to need? Will this engine even fit right?

I have a great driveshaft guy that can shorten the DS if needed along with a good fabrication dude.

So apart from engine mounts/AC Relocation/Trans mounts and wiring what else is needed? I would just go buy another C/K but I don't like how I fit in them so I'm on the hunt for a new project. My end goal is a sleeper Trail Blazer or my plan B will be a 1st gen 2 door Tahoe.

Thanks all!!

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_denali
75 Posts
The LQ4 will bolt right in on 5.3 engine mounts. I don't know how much difference there is between the I6 and the V8 LS mounts to make a recommendation as to being able to use those...
If you compare the 4L80 to the 4L60 in your donor truck you can get a good idea as to how it will fit in the tunnel. We know there isn't much room around the 4L60 so you might have quite a time getting the big guy in there.
The wiring is the hard point. So many systems in these trucks run through the ECM, TCM and BCM that getting a new ECM from a V8 TB or Envoy may be your best direction. There are a number of companies that offer reprogramming for these trucks so contacting a couple of those would be my first recourse. I would contact PCM of NC and get their take.
Mark

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
17 Posts
Does the MSD Throttle body support non-accelerator cable installations? Your TB does not have a mechanical accelerator cable as the OEM throttle body is controlled entirely by the PCM. You would need to either replace the existing drive-by-wire accelerator pedal with a mechanical one or somehow interface the existing one to the MSD Throttle body.

·
Registered
2004 buick rainier
8 Posts
I have an 02 LTZ I6 as my (now) DD and now just got an 03 LTZ 2WD with a I6 that has a rod through the block. My plan for this 03 is to swap in an engine I was using in my '73 C/K which is an LQ4 that's been stroked to 6.7L. (Drunk driver hit me and totaled it)

The engine also has MSD 6LS ignition/coils and a full MSD Atomic EFI with an MSD Airforce intake and MSD Throttle body. I spent a pretty penny on this engine so I'd really like to be able to use it. It only has 16k miles on it since built. I also have 2 walbro 255 fuel pumps and 1000cc injectors.

I also have a 4L80-E with a 3000 stall that was in the C/K that's controlled by an MSD transmission controller, I know this probably won't fit can I do anything I can do to make it fit? It only has 16k miles on it since it got built by Mad Dog transmissions. Perhaps I'll just sell it and buy a 4L60-E from them.

I've read on many other swap posts that I'll need new transmission mounts and a harness. My goal is to get rid of as much GM computer interference as I can. What else am I going to need? Will this engine even fit right?

I have a great driveshaft guy that can shorten the DS if needed along with a good fabrication dude.

So apart from engine mounts/AC Relocation/Trans mounts and wiring what else is needed? I would just go buy another C/K but I don't like how I fit in them so I'm on the hunt for a new project. My end goal is a sleeper Trail Blazer or my plan B will be a 1st gen 2 door Tahoe.

Thanks all!!
How did you fair on this project? Thinking along the same lines..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts