Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been wondering since some of the envoys and trailblazers come with the 5.3s and 6.0ls have any of you guys ever thought about changing your i6 to one of those or has it ever been done yet?

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
It's not just the engine, but the entire drivetrain is beefed up for the SS. SS owners are destroying their rear differentials as it is, and the one on the I6 is smaller than theirs.

But with an SS donor vehicle and enough time, it's possible.

But folks are going to wonder WHY?

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
It's not just the engine, but the entire drivetrain is beefed up for the SS. SS owners are destroying their rear differentials as it is, and the one on the I6 is smaller than theirs.

But with an SS donor vehicle and enough time, it's possible.

But folks are going to wonder WHY?
that is true, but some ext also have bigger diff. I hardly heard any complaints from ext dealing with the rear diff...

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what are they having problems with on the rear dif the ring pinions, lockers or the shafts. and i sorta have a donor motor tranny and transfercase out a 2002 c3(denali pick up) only thing im not really a fan of the awd tranfer case but i was just wondering how much different the wiring is between the 2

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
that is true, but some ext also have bigger diff. I hardly heard any complaints from ext dealing with the rear diff...
All EXTs have bigger diffs regardless of engine. Only the SWB I6s have the weird 8" rear, SWB 5.3 and all LWBs have the 8.6" rear, the SS/Aero get the 14 bolt 9.5" rear.

what are they having problems with on the rear dif the ring pinions, lockers or the shafts. and i sorta have a donor motor tranny and transfercase out a 2002 c3(denali pick up) only thing im not really a fan of the awd tranfer case but i was just wondering how much different the wiring is between the 2
Just grenading the gears to pieces I think, they cant take the extra stress the higher hp/tq motors.

As for your swap, honestly it will take so much rewiring you'll get sick of it. The only V8 swaps into original I6s have been done with donor SS (or guess a donor SWB 5.3 would work too) with the entire wiring harness, cluster, everything moved over.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
6 Posts
i agree with the roadie some folks, like myself, will wonder WHY?

i love the idea of an engine swap but not many would be willing to put in the massive amount of work and time to accomplish it. i dont see the practicality of swapping in an engine thats already offered from the factory. for most people it would be more practical to buy a 5.3l or 6.0l ss and spend the time and money on other mods.

what i would like to see however is a 6.0 swap into an extended tb/envoy since it wasnt offered that way from GM.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i look for projects lol and i pretty much virtualy have the motor tranny and tranfer case for nothing. i know the denalis come with the 5.3 so i wasnt sure how much modification and stuff would be needed i know in the truck pretty much all the motors bolts up the same and wiring harness is same.

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7,255 Posts
I don't see a reason not to do it. Sure, people say why go through the hassle if it is offered, but that is the whole point. If you are someone truly loves you truck and customizing it, the work is worth having something that nobody else has. If you've already done so many other things to your truck, why wipe the slate clean just the motor is already in there? You still end up putting in the wrench time to do all of the other mods already done to your truck. Personally, I want to keep my TB to mod the poopoo out of visually and pick up an SS when it is paid off so I have something for performance.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
I would love to swap my straight six for another straight six.... the 2JZ Twin Turbo 3 liter inline 6 :drool:drool:hail: 1000 HP on a stock block :excited:

now if only I can get the GM/toyota wiring to "talk" to each other :undecided:undecided:undecided:crazy:

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7,255 Posts
I would love to swap my straight six for another straight six.... the 2JZ Twin Turbo 3 liter inline 6 :drool:drool:hail: 1000 HP on a stock block :excited:

now if only I can get the GM/toyota wiring to "talk" to each other :undecided:undecided:undecided:crazy:
If only. Just buy yourself a beater to drive and rewire everything.

·
Registered
chevy
1,797 Posts
Why? Why not? I would love to find a 2wd LS/LT with a blown engine or tranny and get the rest out of a wrecked SS. Then roll up to a stop light next to some guy who says, "Oh, he's got the 5.3 version and thinks he's fast, I'll show him..."

But, that's just me. I'm all about the sleepers, nothing quite like seeing the look of terror and surprise in someone's eyes...:m2:

:thx

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ya well the first reason i want to do the 6.0l is there isnt an envoy offered with one of those motors. the second reason no one has an envoy with one. i personaly like tinkering with things did motor swap in my sierra and completely built that up from scratch. the envoy is pretty stock and also my final reason when i bought my envoy a year old it cost me 17000 today the cheapest ss i have found has been 25000 still and thats 2 years later. have i ever mentioned this site rocks lol

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,422 Posts
If your going to do an engine swap how about getting the corvette ZR1 engine. Nothing like 638hp. :drool

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
6 Posts
ya well the first reason i want to do the 6.0l is there isnt an envoy offered with one of those motors. the second reason no one has an envoy with one. i personaly like tinkering with things did motor swap in my sierra and completely built that up from scratch. the envoy is pretty stock and also my final reason when i bought my envoy a year old it cost me 17000 today the cheapest ss i have found has been 25000 still and thats 2 years later. have i ever mentioned this site rocks lol
thats what i was sayin earlier do somethin you cant just buy otherwise like you said a 6.0 envoy that would be super awesome and your right no one else has one so it would be unique. go with that. i feel sorry for the sucker that lines up next to you.:raspberry :woot:

If your going to do an engine swap how about getting the corvette ZR1 engine. Nothing like 638hp. :drool
ya that would be great but i dont think he wants to drop 10-12grand for that kinda motor i kno i wouldnt.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Yea the wiring harnesses for our trucks are different between 02-05 I6, 06-07 I6, and again for 08+ I6. Each of these groups use a different PCM or ECM/TCM combo and starting in 06 they are CAN instead of OBDII (well more like in addition to).

I like your 6.0L in a Voy idea, find a 5.3 and swap the motors out or pull the 5.3 and stroke it to 6.0.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ya im seriously startin to look into this. the other reason that i want to try this is because all the ss are awd. i want to be able to switch between 2 and 4 the awds suck i think no offence

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
ya im seriously startin to look into this. the other reason that i want to try this is because all the ss are awd. i want to be able to switch between 2 and 4 the awds suck i think no offence
no there are 2wd for tbss

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sorry there are 2wd tbss or the awd trailblazers. i want something that can be switched between not always awd or 2wd.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts