Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

I was hit by a drunk wrong way driver and have to repair front bumper and trim

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Kalamont 
#1 ·
I was able to drive away with only a moderate case of whiplash and only cosmetic damage to the driver side front fender and bumper/grill/header panel. Of course there's is more to the repairs than just what I listed, but I'll save you the grocery list of parts. Where I'm stalled out at now is trying to figure out what brand/type of glue is needed to glue my undamaged styrofoam impact absorber into my new bumper cover. All I have been able to determine with my online searches is that I need to use some type of automotive hot melt glue. Sooo, what brand should I get and where can I find it?

I've asked the guys at my local O'Reilly's, Auto Zone and Advanced Auto stores, and all they have in stock are epoxies and sprays. The only hot melt glue they have is for the DIY dent and ding repair kit, and the strength of that stuff barely qualifies it for that job as it is. All Google, Yahoo and Bing are giving me for my efforts are ads for what Walmart, Auto Zone, O'Reilly's and Advanced Auto have in their respective stores which I have already crossed off as unviable for my problem. Does anyone here have a suggestion?

#4 ·
My latest project car is a 2004 SAAB 9-3 Aero cabrio. Beautiful car except the dingbat daughter of the previous owner wrecked the front lip spoiler and bumper. Not stereotyping here, he actually told me this.

You need a plastic welder. Look up “Polyvalence“ or “plastic welding bumper“ on YouTube. I bought one and it’s paid for itself already. I then picked up two 3M / Bondo flexible bumper repair kits for the filler and all the associated sandpapers (80 through 800). I’ve got the chin spoiler welded, filled, and primered. The bumper is welded and filled. Waiting for favorable weather to prime that and paint both (lime yellow metallic)

#6 ·
Well, there's a bit more to the back story that should clarify things. He is in jail, it wasn't his car (belonged to his dad), and both insurance companies (mine and his) declared my Trailblazer totaled, but confirmed it was below the threshold for being declared a complete write off and I was allowed to keep it. The damage was all cosmetic, aside from needing a four wheel alignment, which has saved me a massive headache in a major way. Because I opted to retain ownership, they would not pay for the repairs so I am using the check (just under $3200) to cover the parts and labor on my own. Seeing as I was laid off back at the end of July thanks to Covid and my previous employers financial constraints, the bulk of that check went to cover other expenses such as rent, food, and such. What was left was enough to buy the few parts I needed to complete the repairs well enough to get the Trailblazer cleared to go back on the road. To be honest, I prefer it this way, as I am a body guy and love this stuff. I have found a 3M industrial grade hot melt glue that works great for styrofoam to plastic applications just like mine (I think, I'm still waiting for the box to get here so I haven't confirmed that yet) and will let everyone know how it turns out. Pics are soon to be coming.

#9 · (Edited)
I'm sorry you got hit by a car. Are you okay? It seems too strange that you have to repair a car, whether it's your own or not. This should be done by the drunkard who hit you. Has the world gone completely crazy? I was also hit by a car with chronic drunk driving not so long ago. I was lucky. I got off easy. Fracture and a few shaking. I immediately sued him. The court ordered this person to undergo mandatory treatment at fherehab.com and pay a fine. It turns out that this is not the first time this has happened. I am very glad that justice has prevailed, and this person will not harm anyone else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.